5R55E Transmission Compatibility

ozydeco

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT, 94 Sport
5R55E OD Sensor

Junkyard 'experts' say some 5R55E's ('97, '98) have an OD sensor and some don't and you have to get the same model --- what I've read is that these trannys are identical with this exception (some are with sensor and some without) but the ECU programming code doesn't recognize/use this sensor anyway, just short the harness sensor wires together if your replacement tranny doesn't have one..... True ?

('97, '98) vs (2000+) 5R55E's

Again, based on what I've read, my understanding is that a 2001 5R55E could be used as a replacement for a '97 5R55E in an Explorer if you simply rewire the electrical connector for control solenoid switching.....True ? If no one has tried this, but knows this is the only difference - I'll be the first to try it and write-up a report for this forum.

I think knowing these facts would help a lot of people, I know it would help me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe this is what you are after.

Article No.
97-15-28 07/21/97
TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - OVERDRIVE DRUM SPEED
SENSOR DELETED - SERVICE TIP LIGHT TRUCK:
1997 AEROSTAR, EXPLORER, RANGER ISSUE:
The Overdrive Drum Speed (ODS) sensor has been deleted as a running change. This may cause the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to receive stray signals from the non4unctional ODS sensor that may affect the operation of the transmission. ACTION:
Disconnect the ODS sensor connector, Cut off the connector end and splice the wires together. This should reduce the possibility of stray signals affecting the operation of the transmission. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the ODS sensor connector from the sensor.
2. Cut off the connector end.
3. Splice and solder the two (2) wires together.
4. Shrink wrap the wires and secure the wires to the harness. For proper wire splicing techniques, refer to the Augat Connector Repair Kit Manual.
5. Leave the sensor installed if using the original case. New service cases will not have an ODS sensor hole in the case.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F77Z-7005-DD Transmission case OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper WarranW Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

971528A Eliminate Overdrive Drum 0.3 Hr.
Speed (ODS) Sensor
Connector As Outlined DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7005 12 OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000

Brad, I have a 97, should I do the sensor delete?

Yes.

Thanks, Brad. I'll do it.

Thanks for the good advice gentlemen. My problem is the reverse of yours, I have a replacement 5r55e for my 2001 xlt with ods and my 5r55e does not. So I will just ignore the ods connector. Since I have nothing to plug into it anyway.

Back