• Register Today It's free!

5r55e transmission no reverse

Sabianwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
I have a 99 explorer 4x4 that no longers has reverse. I was backing up a few nights heard a clunk. Thought hit something but i did not. Then i discovered i had no reverse. I shift it lights come on i hear a faint sound like its enaged but doesnt move. All other gears are fine. Shift no problems. I tried putting it fron auto 4x4 to high 4x4. Iy makes a awful noise. Ive never used the 4x4. So im not sure if its the cause. Ive located another trans. But want expert advice just encase i can save time and money if theres a specific cause. Like to truble shoot before changing the whole trans. Any help is appreciated.

Most likely broken "lo/reverse" band or servo failure. But the clunk you heard was probably the "lo/reverse" band breaking. Anyway, it still requires a complete dissemble, and while it's apart might as well give it new clutches, steels, seals, gaskets, bushings, thrust washers, gaskets, solenoids, and tq. converter. OR, find a good used unit known to work properly, and just swap it out.

There is a tab on the reverse band that has broken off in my opinion - I have a pic of it somewhere - the band is at the bottom of the case so it takes total disassembly. if the tab broke - I’m assuming the same transmission as mine - it hurt a lot - total rebuild

Mine actually started with the tab breaking and progressed to not moving in d - but I think it would move in d1 and d2 but I don’t think it would have for long - my only regret was that I didn’t get a new rear chain and tensioner at this point - I don’t think the transmission guys would have done it anyway - while the tranny was being rebuilt we put in a new main seal - the truck doesn’t leak a drop of oil

Back