5R55E Transmission. Overdrive servo cover blowout! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission. Overdrive servo cover blowout!

dpayne6960

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Hi
I'm so glad I found this forum! Maybe one of the readers can help me. I have a 2000 sport explorer that has pushed out the overdrive servo cover twice now. The first time the snap ring was broken in two. I then replaced the piston. O-ring and cover and cover O-ring. It lasated about a month. Now the same thing happened again. It seams like something very strong is pushing the cover out. Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5R55E Trans- Overdrive Servo Cover blowout

I have a 2000 explorer sport with a 5R55E transmission. About a month ago I had the overdrive Servo Cover blowout and had a complete loss of fluid. I replaced the servo. O-ring, cover and cover O-ring. It lasted only a month and today the same thing happened again. The servo cover is pushed out and ****ed the snap ring is damaged again and a little piece of the outer aluminum of the trans has been broken off like the pressure pushed so hard that the snap ring actually snapped a piece of the case off. I know I can replace the servo again and another ssnap ring but what's causing this?

Thanks Brooklynbay. I think the case is fine. I guess I coud measure the ID of the bore and compare it to a known value if I had one. I'm just wondering what could be so strong as to push the cover out while breaking the snap ring in the process? The pressure that moves the servo is between the cover and the servo- right? If this is correct then maybe the pressure is too high somehow?

Brooklynbay- only the tinest piece of the outer lip where the snap ring seats is missing. I'm talking 1/4" at most. There's plenty of meat left for the snap ring to seat in Sorry if I mislead you. Are you saying that there's something wrong with the case and that's why I'm having this problem (besides the small chp in the case)?

Thanks, I'll take a look over the weekend.

Back