How to: - 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Well,i guess it's my turn now....

Hello everyone.I love all the info on this thread and i have to say that it has given me the confidence to tackle the job.So yes,the thing that i was dreading the most has finally come around; i have the 2-3 flare.Well,i've decided to get an off the shelf rebuilt valve body with Sonnax upgrades and a new separator plate from Central Valve Body so i can have a spare.My question is,do i need the transgo kit if i buy the rebuilt bv or does the sonnax upgrades address this issues?...also,do i need anything else besides the updated bracket,EPC solenoid,sep plate gaskets,pan gasket,reverse servo gasket and new filter?Needless to say,i'm planning on leaving nothing to chance.Thanks in advance,guys..i will keep you posted of the results....

Oh yeah,i know it's a dumb question,but i just want to amke sure i have the right tranny info.I have a 2000 explorer EB v6 4.0L SOHC 2wd automatic transmission.This is the 5R55E tranny,right?The tranny code on the door panel says D....i just want to make sure im getting the right parts.Thanks again...wish me luck:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that post. Excellent addition.

Thanks you for all your help, that includes everyone else who posted all the helpful info.
I was sure close to trading my problem away.

5R55E Valve Body Questions

I was looking over the diary for probably the 50th time, and had a question about the new seperator plate used in the Ford TSB Upgrade (referenced in page 1). I have a 1997 Explorer, 4.0 OHV with 150,000 miles on it, and it has this part number listed: F77Z-7A008-DB in the application chart. But in the instructions it says to use this part: 1L5Z-7Z490-GA which is for a 1998 Explorer. Which one is right? Does one have the bonded gasket and one not? Can I use the one that is listed for the 1998 if it has a bonded gasket? I plan on also replacing all solenoids, and installing the superior kit while I am in there too.

:salute:
Brad

I was looking over the diary for probably the 50th time, and had a question about the new seperator plate used in the Ford TSB Upgrade (referenced in page 1). I have a 1997 Explorer, 4.0 OHV with 150,000 miles on it, and it has this part number listed: F77Z-7A008-DB in the application chart. But in the instructions it says to use this part: 1L5Z-7Z490-GA which is for a 1998 Explorer. Which one is right? Does one have the bonded gasket and one not? Can I use the one that is listed for the 1998 if it has a bonded gasket? I plan on also replacing all solenoids, and installing the superior kit while I am in there too.

:salute:
Brad

I would give Donny at Central Valve Bodies a call.

Their valve bodies have all the Sonnax and Ford upgrades, a brand new epc and all the shift solenoids have been tested. Plus you get a 12 month warranty.
By the time you buy all the components separately you will more than cover the cost of a rebuilt VB. The one I purchased was $247.49 shipping and all. ( they'll give you a discount if you mention "Explorer Forum")

But if your heart desires try Bob Utter Ford dealer in Texas. They are very competitive with there prices and there parts guys are very knowledgeable. 1-800-259-3560.
It cost me $160 for just an epc the updated sep. plate, the blow off valve upgrade, a new solenoid bracket, and reverse servo gasket.

Glacier: This thread is the greatest. You perform a truly laudable service in sharing your expertise and talent. I have rebuilt my 4r44e from 97 ranger 2.3 2wd; Forward it does everything right: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OD, TC lockup, engine braking in all the appropriate setups, but no reverse. I can get it to go into reverse if I run the shifter down to 1 to R and back and forth quickly , until the OD off light starts to flash, then it goes into reverse (sometimes) but if I throttle down, it goes up to about 1500 rpm and starts to choke. In normal mode (with no flashing OD light), when I place it into reverse, I can feel/hear an engagement of something: a servo or band or clutch pack, but no engagement at all. I have had the valve body out a couple times looking for something, verifying the placement of the check balls, the puck and the screen, the mobility of the reverse servo, the servo o-ring and the servo bore (smooth) and the placement of the gaskets (new). Even with the OD light flashing, there is no code thrown to the PCM, not even a pending code. Is that where I can read codes if the OD light is flashing? All the solenoids look good, but I have no test for the pressure controller solenoid. I am thinking that this may be the culprit. It is like the reverse band is catching, but the appropriate clutch pack is not engaging--not enough pressure or something. Should I check line pressures? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Mac

Hey Brooklyn thanks for getting back to me. How does that valve work and what should I look for in that valve? How do they typically fail? Thanks.

-Mac
ps I love my '95 Aerostar. Wish it was a '97 though.

Here's a picture from Glacier991's photo gallery:
152865r55.jpg

The reverse modulation valve is located on the upper right hand corner of the above diagram. Did you disassemble everything in that diagram?

TCC Question

I just pulled the VB from my Explorer. While checking the Ohms on the solenoids, I noticed that the TCC doesn't have the screen on it. Does that mean anything?? Going to order parts on Monday and want to make sure I get the right one.

Brad:salute:

Brooklyn: Thanks for pointing me to the problem. Yeah, the last time I tore it down I rebuilt the valve body. I took it down today and found that the 'L' shaped keeper in the middle of the reverse modulation valve bore was missing. It resulted in only one band clamping. All back together now, problem solved. Thanks loads.
-Mac

what a great write up on this one yet another reason i love this place

Long neglected update

Well, I finally broke down and joined up as an Elite Explorer, and I decided this was a good time to finally give the postscript on my 4R55E problems. Earlier in this thread, Glacier et al. helped me try to fix my failure to shift into 2nd problem. I installed the TSB fix, a Transgo shift kit, replaced solenoids, TSS, etc. But it didn't work. So I found a reputable shop, took it there, (incidentally, the head mechanic didn't know about the TSB) and $1200 later, my truck worked. This was back in the summer of 2006. It works fine now, although sometimes it downshifts funny when I'm slowing down for a stop. Anyway, the problem is shown in the pictures below. I have no idea why the band broke, other than just general fatigue. It looks to me like Ford could have beefed up that band attachment point a little. BTW, the third picture shows a close up of the band surface where the part number is printed. The shop owner said that he had never seen bands as clean and wear-free in a tranny to be rebuilt. Anyway, I'm at 160K now, and the engine's starting to run a little rough. No starting or acceleration problems, it just is louder and vibrates more. I haven't gotten out my stethoscope just yet, but I suspect it's coming from the bottom end. I am praying it holds out until May, when I finish my MBA, and then I can spend the summer on my next project: a 5.0+BW4406 swap. I know what everyone will say: buy a 4WD V8 explorer and mod it, but I like MY truck! So, can anyone suggest a good 5.0 rebuilding book?

Attachments

• IMG_0526 v2.jpg
    IMG_0526 v2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 4,110
  • IMG_0547 v2.jpg
    IMG_0547 v2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,991
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3,937

Strange reverse noise, no overdrive.

So I'm not sure how long it took me to read this thread, but I still haven't figured out my problem. :( I don't have many posts on here but I'm on here reading everyday.

I have a '97 Sport, 4.0 Sohc of course, and an automatic, 5r55e right? I have reverse, it works but when it's cold, reverse makes a strange liquidy whistling/whining sound... sort of like the kitchen faucet when you don't completely open it, you know? When it's warm it doesn't make the whirring/whistling noise at idle, (in reverse) but when you rev it a little it does. Also I have the "Overdrive Band Failure" code. When I bought the truck it wouldn't go into overdrive. I had the band tightened to spec and it would shift into overdrive for a few weeks when cold but after it began to warm-up it would slide back into 4th unless you were climbing a hill, but then it would shift back into 4th until the top of the hill. :(

It's really confusing me because sometimes (maybe once a month) it will use overdrive on the highway for 20 or so minutes, but then shift into 4th. I'm pretty sure it's a VB problem, maybe a torn VB gasket? I have to get it fixed because I drive about 70 miles a day, and trust me, driving on US Hwy 1 (25 miles to school) with no overdrive is killing my wallet. Any advice would be a good place to start. I'd like to fix it as my Christmas present. ;)

No...

No, the first time it didn't shift into overdrive the CEL was triggered. They said that the insides looked fine, no problems, clean fluid... what should I think?

P1762

I think that it was P1762, which is the "Overdrive Band Failure" What should I do first?? If it isn't broken then what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back