• Register Today It's free!

5R55E valve body.

bjackds

Reaction score
City, State
atlanta, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt four wheel drive
Help. I replaced the valve body gaskets (2). After reassembly and installation of the valve body. The transmission will not shift into gear. It acts as though it is still in neutural. What are some possible mistakes I could have make during reassembly to cause this problem. The initial problem was slow acceleration from start and hestiation between 2nd and 3rd gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

You forgot the manual control valve on the valve body. It must hook into the lever that goes to the shifter on the side of the transmission.

yes, i connected the manual control valve. as matter of fact, i removed the pan to insure that it was connected. maybe, it is not connected correctly. do you have an assembly blow up of the connection. thanks.

thanks for the picture! the manual control valve lever shown in the picture is broken off. Can the lever be replaced or will it require replacing the entire selector assembly?

thanks again. i have removed the selector plate and replaced the manual valve lever. however, i am experiencing a problem getting the selector plate aligned on the slotted stud. i am not getting the clearance needed to align. the opposite end appears to seat or plunge into the transmission. any insight regarding the end connection into the transmission.

positioning selector lever in detent

Unfortunately, the lever is supposed to be engaged prior to attaching the valve body. When I installed my valve body I had about half of the bolts finger tight before I noticed the misalignment of the lever. I had to loosen all of the bolts and lower the valve body before there was enough clearance to slide the lever into the detent.

thanks. the valve body is totally removed at this point. i am not getting enough range to slide the selector plate over the mounting bolt.

Repairing broken manual valve lever post

I'm not sure what you're calling the "selector plate" and the "mounting bolt".

I believe you stated that the post on the manual valve inner lever was broken off.

The manual valve inner lever and parking pawl actuating rod are removed as an assembly after removing the nut that retains them.

I assume that you did not remove the manual control lever shaft that has a retaining pin.

The following is from my ATSG 5R55E manual:

When installing the manual valve inner lever first attach the parking pawl actuating rod to it on the same side as the post. Install the manual valve inner lever and parking pawl actuating rod into the case. Align the flats of the manual valve inner lever with the flats on the manual control lever shaft.

CAUTION: To avoid damage, do not allow wrench to strike the manual valve inner lever pin (post)

Install manual valve inner lever nut and tighten to 41-54 Nm (30-40 lb-ft).

thanks a million! it appears that the parking pawl actuating rod is not seated far enough into the case to allow placing the assembly on the mounting bolt. I have attempted to find a seat location in the case that would allow clearance to mount the assembly. any and all ideas are welcome.

outer manual control lever assembly

Is the outer manual control lever assembly still in place? The one that the digital transmission range sensor connects to. If so, (and this is just a guess) is the transmission range selector on the steering column still in Park? Maybe moving the selector to Neutral will remove pressure from the parking pawl actuator rod and allow the flats to align. From the drawings it appears that the actuator rod presses against the parking pawl in the extension housing. There is a parking pawl return spring that you may be fighting.

thanks for the info. yes, the return spring ended up being the culprit. elevating all four tires and rotating the drive shaft relieved the pressure and allowed the the parking pawl actuation rod to seat in the casing. yea, i went on a short test ride tonight. hopefully, the valve body rebuild solved the 2-3 flare problem. thanks again.

Back