5r55e wont move when hot and other issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e wont move when hot and other issues

98grnsport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Own a 98 Sport, 4l sohc, 5r55e 4x4. Had issues when it was driven hard at times it would spray transmission fluid all over the rear hatch. tightened the trans pan and it fixed it for awhile, month later did it again on the highway about a 150km trip. Thought nothing of it.

Now yesterday I was going up to tthe bush with some friends to ride in the back of a friends truck while they went out mudding. As I was headed up the hill my friend noticed my explorer was leaving a trail of trans fluid, got out to check and the overfill tube was shooting trans fluid out like crazy, then it quit.

Checked the level and it was full, drove it about 10mins more, had all 5 gears and reverse, while headed to the parking area (uphill) the suv started to shutter and buck, then it wouldn't move at all, would just rev like it was in neutral. Got out and it dumped all its trans fluid out underneath it, could hear it gurrgling. got it on flat ground it and filled it up some more, it went through all 5 gears and reverse with no shuttering of any kind.

Then it quit moving once again. Got it home by rolling it all downhill.... This morning it let me reverse it out the driveway and it would move in 1st. Not D, or 2... Then it just quit rolling and acted like it was in neutral... Walked home... waited 15mins and then it moved again but only in first gear.. Once home (2mins of driving) won't move again. What is happening? Fluid looks brown and smells a bit burnt. Did I roast the bands?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not an expert on automatic transmissions, but it sounds like when all the fluid leaked out (perhaps with a bad tailshaft seal on that incline) you burned up the bands and that was all she wrote. I'd love to hear what the experts think, though.

I topped up the level and the fluid looks brown, almost clear, not red lol, and probably more then likely. It wont move at all now even with fluid and conditioner in it. I will drop the pan later..

Its done i believe, dropped the pan I found a piece of metal.

the fluid looks brown, almost clear, not red.
The red dye oxides out and you'll have a normal transparent caramel color. A quick test is the blotter or white napkin test. Good fluid will rapidly spread out like a thin oil stain, but if it just sits there and leaves a grungy residue the fluid is burned and bands likely shot.

smells a bit burnt. Did I roast the bands?
Smells burnt"? Likely lost the bands.

Back