• Register Today It's free!

5r55e

MR.Gravity

Reaction score
City, State
AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4x4
Just finished the rebuild of 5R55E transmission today and was going to start on the valve body. The problem is that I can't get some of the valves out of the VB. This tranny had not gone out but the torque converter did so with 160K on tranny I decided to try my hand at a rebuild and thanks to the great info on here I have got it done.

My question is , should I keep trying to get all the valves and assemblies out of the VB and take a chance on damaging something or is there a way to flush or clean the VB properly without complete disassembly?

The tranny had lots of very fine metal all through it so to some extent I guess it will also be all in the VB.

What to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some valves are very difficult to remove due the L keepers and plug keepers creating burs. Do not scratch any of the valves or they are probably ruined. They can be remove with the proper picks and small screw drivers with out drilling.

Read this article for drilling and removal--http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/37947-BOOK-IN.pdf
http://www.sonnax.com/system/assets/2799/original/37947-BOOK-IN.pdf?1289884046

The valves themselves are no longer STEEL, like years ago, but rather ALUMINUM alloy, coated with a hard oxide finish. Scratch easily, ruined thereby.

I think if you cannot remove all of them, but slosh whats left in there with solvent repeatedly, you will have no trouble (keep fingers crossed!).

My failed solenoid dumped quite a bit of bronze chips on top of the VB, which I disassembled, with some stubborn valves like yours, left them in there, replaced solenoid pack, 10K mi. on it working fine (kept fingers crossed!!). imp

Imp, sounds like that would be the route for me also. Hope yours continues to be trouble free.

I have read the valve body diary and looked over pics several times.great info! It's not that I don't understand how to get them out, I think it's like PopRichie77 says, the L keepers and plug keepers have burred the valves and Im beginning to think if they are not going to come out soon without force, I'm gonna just flush the best I can and go from there.

Thanks for the suggestions

Sorry I wasn't clear the burs are on the soft aluminum valve body bores not the hard coated valves, but a good flushing and move the valves if you can while flushing may do the job. Be sure to flush the lines to the radiator, the cooler in the radiator and the trans cooler. The torque converter should be replaced.

Back