5r55s 4x4 4.0 swap

03BlackRangerEdg

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge 4.0 4x4
hi guys

I am a newbie on the forum and have a few questions.. I have been doing a lot of research on the 5r55e (week) and the tr55s/w (stronger). my ranger is getting up there in mileage and is starting to have some shifting issues. I would rather just swap out the 5r55e for a s/w as I am also planning a SC install when I rebuild the engine. I have read the 5r55s 4.0 2wd swap sticky. His stand alone system would work.. but I would have to turn off the auto functions in my ecu.

my main questions is

1. can the auto functionality be turned off in my stock ecu? if so.. what would be the best tuner to use?
2. could the s/w be plugged into the stock ecu and just reprogram or replace the ecu? keeping in mind the need to reprogram Vin and millage and pats after ecu swap..
3. can my stock 03 ranger transfer case be bolted up to the s/w?
4. am I crazy?

#4 :D

Seriously, I not a big fan of swapping things around that was not designed to work in a different vehicle. It just opens the door for countless issues and frustration.

I would repair the 5R55E and keep it, you say the S/W are stronger, and I can see why you would say that but the S/W have there own problems to deal with. The servo bores wear out, solenoid blocks can be trouble, and they have there share of valve body issues too. The "stronger" parts inside the S/W are things like the planets and drums, but these are not the parts that usually fail to begin with. The parts I see fail are the bands, overdrive sprag, converters, valve body issues. The bands are the same in the 5R55E,5R55N,S/W, A4LD so the swap is no help there, the overdrive sprag is also the same for the 5R55E - N/S/W, so no benefit there either. Both units have VB problems and converter problems as well.

Rebuild the 5R55E and hopefully you will get good milage out of it again without the nonstop electrical nightmare.

I am not sure about the transfer case, but I would have to say it would not fit.

thank you sir for your input. my 03 has 181,900 miles on it and is just starting to get the flare between gears and the typical slow reverse engagement. it also some times takes a lot of peddle to make it downshift. once it is in gear there is no problem at all and it's super smooth. from what I have read its likely a separator plate gasket issue or the worn boost valve. I was kinda also thinking of getting the sonax valve body kit and new plate and see if that helps. Probably throw in a deep pan to.

my anle retentive maintenance has helped. Every 25k a flush and at 50 a filter and flush.

you thoughts?

Back