5r55s Code P0733, no reverse gear, OD Flashing, Check Trans light- at dealer now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55s Code P0733, no reverse gear, OD Flashing, Check Trans light- at dealer now

jrford

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
bad to worse- 911. Sorry, if this is a double post, I posted another thread on 2002-2005 Stock. about a blown trans thought it would be better here. I searched and found a few threads about p0733 code, a lot replaced VB but still had problems, should i just go the total rebuild?

This is a '04 EB v8 AWD, 5r55s, 51000 miles, real clean, wife was driving and heard a clunk/pop, then lost a lot of power, I checked it out and no reverse gear, seemed to work in forward 1,2 gears but it didn't seen to go in 3rd. Towed it home and i took it to the dealer, Got a code from the Dealer P0733, he wants to rebuild it for $3100 (edit dealer clarified, new trans). Prior to this, it made a funny noise at the 2/3 shift, and stopped creeping in 1st, didn't have to hold the brakes at a light for the last 2 weeks. Still waiting on quote for rebuild.

Get this they tell me its a 50/50 chance on getting it covered by ford, but pay $800 so we can tear into it and see if they will cover it. No way, i can hear it now, after they pull it, oh, much worse, its now $3100, and ford won't cover it, but you get a Warranty with it for something like 3yrs/36k.

I'm going to run as fast as i can. Its good in a way, now ill never have to buy a ford again. So much for the TSB . . .did nothing.

Found a local trans and gear guy what will guarantee it for life, $1600. And he rebuilds them so they don't come back, also said he would do the servos too, . . . .????
Thanks for any ideas.
Jim

$1600 later, it needed:
Master overhaul kit
Torque Converter
Filter
Sun Shell
Front Planetary
Front Ring Gear
Snap ring broke allowing the front Planetary to grind into the Driving Shell.

Should be good for another 100k. Hopefully, cross my fingers. . . .
Transmission, guy said to save on weight, and increase MPG, they (big 3) are “using lighter steel now that isn't as strong as before"
thanks

2005 mountaineer .VERY SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

[
Hi. I was reading your post here and after days and days of looking to find someone that has had the exact same problem with their vehicle that has this extremely JINXED TRANSMISSION IN IT,THE FAMOUS 5R55 family of transmissions that Ford Motor Company has seen fit to just throw into many makes and models of their vehicles!!! The Only difference between what you say happened to,your wife is that when it happened to me I was driving...I pulled into an automatic car wash and needed to back up a bit and when I did the thing although at an idle it just SLAMMED INTO REVERSE!!! When it did it did back up THAT TIME!! However after that I had NO REVERSE and much to my surprise I had no forward gears above 2nd!! When it tried shifting into 3rd it would only REV AND REV!!! Slip I guess!! Now I'm at a loss because I have read so much about these transmissions. Things it could be, things I have been told that it most definitely is!!! But the one thing that is haunting mess the fact that it never made any noise to indicatit had broken anything inside the case!! The one thing that I have said from day one is it seems to be a fluid pressure problem like the SURVO could be blinded and stuck not giving the proper fluid pressure in order to move in reverse and not to shift up past 2nd gear!!! To swap SURVO's is less that $300.00!!!! But to overhaul it's more like $3000.00!!! So if I try the SURVO fix first I'm not really out any money cause they gotta be replaced regardless!!! Can you tell me what they told you had caused your wife's cars transmission to do this??? I just gotta know before imcan rest!!

QUOTE=jrford;2039274]bad to worse- 911. Sorry, if this is a double post, I posted another thread on 2002-2005 Stock. about a blown trans thought it would be better here. I searched and found a few threads about p0733 code, a lot replaced VB but still had problems, should i just go the total rebuild?

This is a '04 EB v8 AWD, 5r55s, 51000 miles, real clean, wife was driving and heard a clunk/pop, then lost a lot of power, I checked it out and no reverse gear, seemed to work in forward 1,2 gears but it didn't seen to go in 3rd. Towed it home and i took it to the dealer, Got a code from the Dealer P0733, he wants to rebuild it for $3100 (edit dealer clarified, new trans). Prior to this, it made a funny noise at the 2/3 shift, and stopped creeping in 1st, didn't have to hold the brakes at a light for the last 2 weeks. Still waiting on quote for rebuild.

Get this they tell me its a 50/50 chance on getting it covered by ford, but pay $800 so we can tear into it and see if they will cover it. No way, i can hear it now, after they pull it, oh, much worse, its now $3100, and ford won't cover it, but you get a Warranty with it for something like 3yrs/36k.

I'm going to run as fast as i can. Its good in a way, now ill never have to buy a ford again. So much for the TSB . . .did nothing.

Found a local trans and gear guy what will guarantee it for life, $1600. And he rebuilds them so they don't come back, also said he would do the servos too, . . . .????
Thanks for any ideas.
Jim[/QUOTE]

Back