• Register Today It's free!

5r55s donor car help

linc8591

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I have an 03 explorer that has the 5r55s transmission in it. I'm looking for a donor car to take one from. Does any one know what cars or years I can look for that would have the same transmission. I have checked every where and can't find anything.

I have an 03 explorer that has the 5r55s transmission in it. I'm looking for a donor car to take one from. Does any one know what cars or years I can look for that would have the same transmission. I have checked every where and can't find anything.
@linc8591
You have about the first year it was used. It has been used in many vehicles other than Explorer, including Mustangs. You did not say whether it is a 4X4. If you locate a replacement 5R55S and it was 2WD, you will need to make internal changes, different output shaft, to use with 4X4, to fit the transfer case. Likewise with other 2WD vehicles, like Mustang.

Why you would be unable to find a used 5R55S around K.C. I can't imagine. If worst comes to worst, buy a rebuilt transmission from Ford Parts. Or, rebuild your old one if it's not grenaded. imp

@linc8591
You have about the first year it was used. It has been used in many vehicles other than Explorer, including Mustangs. You did not say whether it is a 4X4. If you locate a replacement 5R55S and it was 2WD, you will need to make internal changes, different output shaft, to use with 4X4, to fit the transfer case. Likewise with other 2WD vehicles, like Mustang.

Why you would be unable to find a used 5R55S around K.C. I can't imagine. If worst comes to worst, buy a rebuilt transmission from Ford Parts. Or, rebuild your old one if it's not grenaded. imp

It's 4x4 and I meant I was in able to find a list of cars that used that transmission. Not that i couldn't find a vehicle. Was seeing what cars I could start looking for first.

Back