5R55S drives forward just fine / Reverse only works if I do not press the gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S drives forward just fine / Reverse only works if I do not press the gas

Andrew Brown

Reaction score
City, State
La Porte, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer 4X2 XLS
New user here. I am having an issue with what I believe to be the transmission on my 05 ford explorer 4X2 XLS. I believe it has a 5R55S transmission and I came up with that by doing a VIN check online.

It seems like when I drive forward everything seems normal. When I put it in reverse it switches over just fine. The problem I am having is that when I give it gas in reverse it will not go and seems to be what I believe would be called slipping. Although when I do not give it gas it will reverse just fine as long as im not reversing uphill of coarse.

I have been doing alot of reading online and watching youtube videos so I am curious as to what someone with transmission experience has to say. I believe there may possibly be an issue with Servo Piston / Servo Bore / Band.

I have drained the tranny fluid, changed the filter of coarse, and cleaned up the magnet and the oil pan. I also have tried to use seafoam and have not noticed any improvements. I have not tried checking any of the codes yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing at this point is to remove the servo, and inspect the servo, the servo seals, inspect the servo bore, and band.

When you are driving forward and slowing down and stopping put the shifter in 1 or low and see if it is holding back the vehicle. If no, more than likely the low reverse band is broken. Very common on this transmission only thing is the transmission has to come out and completely apart to repair. Good luck.
Brad

When you are driving forward and slowing down and stopping put the shifter in 1 or low and see if it is holding back the vehicle. If no, more than likely the low reverse band is broken. Very common on this transmission only thing is the transmission has to come out and completely apart to repair. Good luck.
Brad

Thank you for the information. I tried this and sure enough it is not holding back the vehicle at all. I was hoping it wasn’t the reverse band considering that’s one of the first things in the transmission case. Now I am debating whether I should get a new tranny, rebuilt tranny, or just do the rebuild on it. Any recommendations on where to look for a Low priced/good quality tranny’s with good warranty/customer support?

How many miles on your transmission? If you at 150k and have clean fluid I'd get the soft rebuild kit and a reverse band. Then just fix the broken band / seals especially if you are unfamiliar with rebuilding a transmission.

How many miles on your transmission? If you at 150k and have clean fluid I'd get the soft rebuild kit and a reverse band. Then just fix the broken band / seals especially if you are unfamiliar with rebuilding a transmission.

Thanks for the advice. 157,000 miles. I just really want to prevent having to take it out all over again if there is other issues. I know the valve is a common problem with this pump in this one so going to replace that while I’m in here along with the servos. I will get the soft rebuild along with the bands. What do you recommend for to help with very minor rough jerk when changing gears?

Hi, Please let me know how I went, I have a 2006 Ford Explorer xlt, same issue as you described, I will look for a repair service, since I don't want to spend much money although this is a very expensive repair vs the cost of the car, I bought it 4 months ago for 3.5k.

Absolutely I will update you when I get the tranny pulled out. Should have it out tonight but won’t be able pull tranny apart until later this week.

Hi, Please let me know how I went, I have a 2006 Ford Explorer xlt, same issue as you described, I will look for a repair service, since I don't want to spend much money although this is a very expensive repair vs the cost of the car, I bought it 4 months ago for 3.5k.
Absolutely I will update you when I get the tranny pulled out. Should have it out tonight but won’t be able pull tranny apart until later this week.

This is the Ring Gear, Reverse Drum, and Reverse Band. Clearly the reverse band is bad. There was not any metal shavings or any other broken parts and all seals seemed to look fine. Servo Bores looked fine didn't have any play. Any thoughts on the Reverse Drum and Ring Gear and possibly anything else that could be linked to this problem? Want to make sure everything needed is changed I really dont want to redo this project.

IMG-5004.jpg

IMG-5003.jpg

IMG-5002.jpg

Put a new band in it and button it up. Very common problem but sometimes the broken piece will find a way to get into the rotating parts and cause havoc. It’s your lucky day! Lol.

I'd replace the band and throw it back together, the hard parts look great. Only other thing I could suggest is a rebuilt valve body while it's apart but not necessary since it's not hard to get to.

Is there something that has caused this to break that I should be looking into? Could there not be enough fluid running to the reverse portion that made it burn up and break?

It just happens, common issue with the band itself. Everything will work fine then one day reverse goes PING and doesn't really work anymore.

While it’s out I would replace the line pressure relief valve. If sticking closed would cause high line pressure and damage parts. If stuck open you will have a no move or delay. Have to be careful on correct pump alignment after taking apart. Valve body gaskets on this model don’t give problems and they are bonded to the separator plate. Get a new bonded plate from Ford if you decide to change.
4E3BCD26-665F-404D-A75D-C4576137C8F8.png

I appreciate all the feedback from everybody. Assuming this works fine when I put it back in this will have saved me thousands of dollars in repair costs by doing it myself. In case anybody in the future needs to reference this thread I will attach some links that I have found very useful.

Mountaineer / Explorer Transmission Removal Notes - Vortex Garage Ep. 23

2003 - 4.0 Ford Explorer Transmission Removal

Transmission Teardown Ford 5R55S

5R55W Transmission Servo Bore Repair - Transmission Repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8eUe5VzOw

5R55S Transmission - Repair - Part - 1

5R55S Transmission - Repair - part - 2 / Assembly

Sorry late response, Got the transmission put back in and now I’m having delay and jerk when switch from drive to reverse or other way around. No other gears do this. Tranny fluid is new and full. What now?

Sorry late response, Got the transmission put back in and now I’m having delay and jerk when switch from drive to reverse or other way around. No other gears do this. Tranny fluid is new and full. What now?

I know this is a old post but did you find the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brad
What if moving it to first does slow the truck but reverse does not work?

Back