5r55s OD button

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
My OD button on my shifter (2003 aviator 5r55s) does nothing . .no difference if you push it and no lights on dash or anything . .its definitely going into OD though . .

How does this button work?Is there a fuse or something i can check??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My OD button on my shifter (2003 aviator 5r55s) does nothing . .no difference if you push it and no lights on dash or anything . .its definitely going into OD though . .

How does this button work?Is there a fuse or something i can check??

I would think that the bulb in the dash is probably just out. Now, my parking brake light in the dash turns on when I start the car but doesn't light up when I push the parking/emergency brake pedal down. so, I don't think my light is broken, probably just a grounding issue.

I would think that the bulb in the dash is probably just out. Now, my parking brake light in the dash turns on when I start the car but doesn't light up when I push the parking/emergency brake pedal down. so, I don't think my light is broken, probably just a grounding issue.
I thought that too but pushing the button does nothing when driving

JD see if you can get the switch out and check it for continuity.

JD see if you can get the switch out and check it for continuity.
Yea thats my next step,was just wondering if it had its own fuse or anything

@dgr6853
These dash panels have no bulbs. The entire panel is a microprocessor-operated device using LEDs for lights. They are not individually replaceable, nor are they accessible, wiring-wise, if ya wanna defeat a stubborn ABS light, or the like. The individual connections to the LEDs cannot be accessed from outside. I believe the various modules, PCM, ABS, etc., submit coded demands through a common bus to activate the icons. imp

Yea thats my next step,was just wondering if it had its own fuse or anything
@jd4242
I can tell you that, for 2004 Explorer, my Wiring Schematics show the Transmission Control Switch is fed current by Fuse number 13 in the Central Junction Box, the fuse block under the dash. It is a 5-amp fuse. The switch output goes to the PCM. The switch itself is shown in the Shop Manual as being replaceable. Hope this helps you. imp

@jd4242
I can tell you that, for 2004 Explorer, my Wiring Schematics show the Transmission Control Switch is fed current by Fuse number 13 in the Central Junction Box, the fuse block under the dash. It is a 5-amp fuse. The switch output goes to the PCM. The switch itself is shown in the Shop Manual as being replaceable. Hope this helps you. imp
Aww thank you..i will check that tomorrow

Aww thank you..i will check that tomorrow
@jd4242
Hold up a sec! I was wrong! The O/D OFF light itself is NOT an LED, but is shown as an incandescent lamp fed by the microprocessor. Whether it's accessible or not, I'm not sure, but kinda doubt it, since everything called out for the instrument panel says nothing in it is replaceable. Anyhow, the lamp itself is fed by fuse number 15, 15 amps., located in the Battery Junction Box, under the hood. That fuse feeds directly to the lamp, which then connects to the microprocessor. FWIW, that part of the processor is shown as having the Can Bus leading from it to the PCM. Can Bus carries data supplied by the various modules, encoded in some mysterious way to prevent or at least make near-impossible, repairs feasible by guys like us. imp

@jd4242
Hold up a sec! I was wrong! The O/D OFF light itself is NOT an LED, but is shown as an incandescent lamp fed by the microprocessor. Whether it's accessible or not, I'm not sure, but kinda doubt it, since everything called out for the instrument panel says nothing in it is replaceable. Anyhow, the lamp itself is fed by fuse number 15, 15 amps., located in the Battery Junction Box, under the hood. That fuse feeds directly to the lamp, which then connects to the microprocessor. FWIW, that part of the processor is shown as having the Can Bus leading from it to the PCM. Can Bus carries data supplied by the various modules, encoded in some mysterious way to prevent or at least make near-impossible, repairs feasible by guys like us. imp
Awesome . .ill check those closely and everyone of the rest.im having other tranny issues right now so just havent dug into this issue

Awesome . .ill check those closely and everyone of the rest.im having other tranny issues right now so just havent dug into this issue
my 05 aviator had broken wiers below the shifter and my od light only turns on wen you push the od butten

my 05 aviator had broken wiers below the shifter and my od light only turns on wen you push the od butten
Yea i know my shifter has been replaced, ive got a feeling the wires are broken also..couldnt find any fuses blown

JD, if you get I. The car, close the door, hold down the left and center buttons that control the message center as you start the car and the. Let go once the message center TEST. Then push the left button and it will cycle through all the tests. One of the tests is called the "telltale" test, I think. The tell tale test will illuminate all the lights in the gauge cluster...even for options we don't have. This should tell you if the OD light is functional.

JD, if you get I. The car, close the door, hold down the left and center buttons that control the message center as you start the car and the. Let go once the message center TEST. Then push the left button and it will cycle through all the tests. One of the tests is called the "telltale" test, I think. The tell tale test will illuminate all the lights in the gauge cluster...even for options we don't have. This should tell you if the OD light is functional.
Cool ill try that

Back