5R55S refill help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S refill help

Kavlainc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4.0 XLT
I changed my radiator and about a pint of ATF came out. I got the instructions online on how to do a ATF level check. Got my adapter for the plug and the pump, so all the tools are handy. Got the car running, shifted through all the gears and unscrewed the drain plug. Another pint dripped out of the drain hole until I screwed the plug back in.
I'm getting confused here, is my level ok? If not how in the world am I suppose to refill the fluid if it's always dripping/leaking out? I'm just baffled by the process, I did not think that much fluid will be leaking/dripping out of the drain hole.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you did everything correctly, it sounds like it might have just been overfilled to start with. As long as it goes into all gears, don't worry about it.

Pump and adapter? I need that !!! Where did you get them?

I got my pump at Walmart for about 10 bucks, and I found an adapter at TSC for about 3bucks. My adapter is a 3/8" to 1/8" NPT if I remember correctly.

I know I could stop being so lazy and go out and check my manual, but since I'd rather be lazy, do you know how many quarts the transmission takes? My friend owns a transmission shop and Im dropping my car off to him to change the fluid, but I was hoping to get some royal purple transmission fluid so he can fill it with that, I just don't know how much to get.

Supposedly they take 12 quarts or so. There are lots of ways to do the tranny fluid change. I brought it to my guy last year because I didn't have time to mess with it and he got about 8 quarts into it, by back draining it and filling it through the plug on top of the tranny. If you change it only using the check/fill plug on the bottom & dropping the pan, the most I've seen anyone get into it is about 6 quarts or so. The way I really want to do it next time is to disconnect a return line from the cooler and swap all the fluid, and for that I'd need about 4 gallons on hand to do it correctly. There are lots of threads on this in the tranny forum.

Back