5R55S - Reverse doesn't want to engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S - Reverse doesn't want to engage

ExcursionMJ

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Excursion
I just took my Mountaineer on a ten hour two day trip. On the second day, I pulled into a gas station, filled it up, and then tried to drive off like normal. I put the car from Park into Reverse with my foot on the brake and the car did absolutely nothing. So I put the car back into park and then put it back in reverse. It still didn't seem to engage so I gave it some gas and it finally started moving backwards but it was rough. Like it did not want to back up.

This is my wifes daily driver and she told me it's happened a few times before and she just mashes the gas until it backs up. Every other gear works perfectly and if I am on drive and then stop the vehicle and put it in reverse to back-up, it is fine. The only time it has happened is when you start the car and go from park to reverse. This is a new issue to me, and I was reading through some stuff on here, but I am completely stumped on it.

I am taking it to a shop tomorrow, but when I talked to the guy today about it he seemed like it wasn't an issue he has heard a lot about. I know he has done a ton of transmissions, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if they have had it and what the cause was? It's on my 04 Mountaineer AWD.

My rear diff is going bad as well, but I don't think that should have anything to do with it right? The bearings in it are whining like crazy. I'm hoping to get it fixed too, but if the transmission issue is a big one, that is not going to be a cheap bill.

I should mention that as far as I know the transmission has never been serviced at all or had any fluid replaced or any filters replaced. It has 107,000 on it now, so could putting a new filter and fluid help me out quite a bit? I know for a fact I am having the shop at least replace the filter and fluid.

Back