5R55S slipping with no trouble codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S slipping with no trouble codes

shadetreeatbest

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac XLT
Hello. I'm new to the forum. Happy to have found some possible help. I have a 2010 Sport Trac with only 20,000 miles on the replaced transmission. (Vehicle has 136,000). Last week I noticed the tranny slipping slightly between 1st and 2nd, 2nd an 3rd. Never got a check engine light and my code reader says nothing there.
I decided to put it on ramps and check the condition of the fluid (no dipstick, GREAT JOB FORD!) I was surprised to see the fluid looked like it had 50 or 60 thousand miles instead of barely 20. I flushed and refilled with valvoline synthetic, (filter too of course) and it is shifting as smooth as butter. Is it possible that my issues were simply due to worn out fluid? I've read where these trannys are known to have issues with the servo bores but at only 20,000 miles?

Any feedback wold be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Happy to have found some possible help. I have a 2010 Sport Trac with only 20,000 miles on the replaced transmission. (Vehicle has 136,000). Last week I noticed the tranny slipping slightly between 1st and 2nd, 2nd an 3rd. Never got a check engine light and my code reader says nothing there.
I decided to put it on ramps and check the condition of the fluid (no dipstick, GREAT JOB FORD!) I was surprised to see the fluid looked like it had 50 or 60 thousand miles instead of barely 20. I flushed and refilled with valvoline synthetic, (filter too of course) and it is shifting as smooth as butter. Is it possible that my issues were simply due to worn out fluid? I've read where these trannys are known to have issues with the servo bores but at only 20,000 miles?

Welcome to the group.
Yes, the brilliant minds at Ford over thunk another one. "Let's leave the Tranny tube and stick off to save money". Meanwhile , it would be nice to be able to check ALL FLUIDS. Anyway. ....if you havevany documents of Tran Rebuild, go to rebuilder, should have 20, 25k warranty. If not, seller pulled one on you.
Common sales ploy. But you did real well by taking matters in your own hands!!

I purchased the vehicle with 118,000 miles on it. Seller said it had been replaced around 116,000. I have a purchase receipt from a local Ford Dealership that indicates the rebuild transmission was delivered to a tranny shop near me but I have no documentation of the actual replacement. The person I bought the vehicle from was a friend of a friend whatever that's worth! I've had this Sport Trac since early 2020 and have only put about 19,000 or so miles on it. Also, I drive all my vehicles like a Grandma going to bingo so there's no reason for worn out fluid. Maybe I got hosed on the supposed replaced tranny but I have had absolutely no other issues outside of scheduled maintenance. I'm gonna keep a close eye AND EAR on it for awhile, that's for sure! Thought about visiting tranny shop to see if they might recall doing the work on my vehicle but it's been awhile so I doubt it would do me much good. Anyway, thanks so much for your feedback. Maybe I'll have no other tranny issues!! (fingers crossed!)

post rebuild sometimes these like band adjustments, not sure why new fluid worked for that one, unless there was some crud that came from rebuild. that can happen sometimes from break in of new clutches maybe.

monitor the trans temp with a scanner
Are you sure the slipping is not happening in the transfer case?

"rebuild" transmission can mean so many things
Remanufactured is usually the term used for a unit that has actually bee rebuilt with all new hard and soft parts, remand valve body, etc

true most rebuilders if the part is fine is just cleaned and reinstalled, true.

Back