jah81592

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Corner, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
5R55S swap/conversion

This thread is going to be in detail about what it takes to swap a 5R55S into your Explorer. As of today there is a standalone unit available (which I will be a dealer for) to control this complex tranny. I have previously kicked around swapping in a 700R4,4L60E, custom building the 5R55e (which physically doesn't have the major hard parts available), but I just couldn't bring myself to a GM trans and the 5R55E just will be a toss up with staying together in the future plans for my vehicle. Whatever I did had to have electronic controls so obviously the 7ooR4 swap is out as well. So my next conclusion was why not swap in a 5R55s which is readily available and is able to withstand the rigors I will be putting on it. This tranny is designed with the v-8 in mind so placing it in duty with a Turbocharged v-6 should not pose any problems with longevity. As well as that this tranny is starting to gain steam with the aftermarket. I have successfully used the 5R55E which is only rated at about 250HP and probably around 300lb.ft torque and I feel I have exceeded what this tranny can supply me. So as of now my best setup is going to be this 5R55S trans swap.

I will take pictures and highlight anything you will need to do to keep the trans swap simple and keep it Ford. I know there will be some setup pains and I will probably change things in the future so this thread will evolve. I believe this will be a good alternative for the 2wd street guy on these forums looking to keeping the electronic controls and the 5speed auto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will start tonight with the trans gear ratio comparison and such. Just a little bit on that is that the 5R55S has a real low 1st gear so stop light to stop light running will be fun. I purchased the tranny today so this swap is definately on and too late to back out now.....:burnout:

I once saw a similar stand alone electronic module for a 4R70W advertised in Gears Magazine. Which company manufactures the one you are selling? How does it connect to the existing wiring harness in the vehicle since the PCM is looking for the previous transmission? Could this module work with the 5R55E/W/N?

Ouu subscribing!

Same question as BrooklynBay -- can the module be used for the N? Not that it really matters too much as the 1st and 2nd gear ratios of the S are a lot better than the E's off the bat (for off-road) -- but still, the N's 2.44 2nd gear is a little better than the S's 2.29 -- just being greedy ;)

Ratios: http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Ford/Ford_Transmissions_Main.htm

I once saw a similar stand alone electronic module for a 4R70W advertised in Gears Magazine. Which company manufactures the one you are selling? How does it connect to the existing wiring harness in the vehicle since the PCM is looking for the previous transmission? Could this module work with the 5R55E/W/N?

Let me get all my duckies in a row and I will let you know who the controller is made by and give some specs. I will be a dealer and once this is complete I will offer conversion complete.

As far as will it control the 5R55W/S/E & N-Yes,yes,yes and yes!
Just food for thought the s,n and w are essentially the same tranny just some gear ratio differences. j The connectors going into the tranny will be factory Ford and there will only be a few wiring harness splices into the vehicle-j

i thought the 5r55s was for the sohc in the 3rd gens and the 5r55w was for the 4.6 v8. maybe i am wrong, seems like you know WAY more then i know.

i thought the 5r55s was for the sohc in the 3rd gens and the 5r55w was for the 4.6 v8. maybe i am wrong, seems like you know WAY more then i know.
probably just a bellhousing pattern difference.

actually its one tranny, 5r55w/s is the same thing i guess, like you said different bellhousing. just looked at the ford manual

If you guys dont mind, I'm going to move this under the Transmissions sub-forum :D

This should be a very interesting thread. I'll be following it with interest. And yes the W/S are basically the same transmission with different gearing. The N is significantly different in some aspects.

I've already started on the 5R55W Rebuild Diary.... but just.

looking forward to this need some more good reading material;)

James - I wish you luck and I'll be doing this someday. Thanks for making it easy on us little dudes.

James - I wish you luck and I'll be doing this someday. Thanks for making it easy on us little dudes.
10-4! I try hard to continuously show the fellow members that I really am a tried and true enthusist,not just a vendor trying to make a sell! Since I started my business in Aug 2006 I haven't had alot of time to focus on my truck. This is just the beginning of the things to come from me. I will be doing a engine build and many other things will definately follow. Thanks for all the support from the fellow members and I look forward to this conversion. :salute:

Trans come in today! Woohoo! What I ordered was a 5R55s from a v-6 Mustang. Upon inspection the tranny looks alot more beefier than the 5R55E. Glacier this would be an excellent time to chime in but from what I understand the guts are basically the same for the v-8 and v-6 5R55S trannies. I believe what we are going to find is a similar circumstance to the 700R4 tranny (v-8 and 60* v-6, both basically the same except the bellhousing). I will post pics. The trans only has 6000miles on it! Basically new....:cool: I also ordered my standalone and wiring harness today. Should be in by the end of next week. Once I get hard parts I will get pics and detail the finer points. I will keep you posted

Just for clarification purposes the 5r55S and 5R55w are the same tranny except the w has a wide gear ratio. Other than that basically the same. One thing I did notice on mine is the lack of a dipstick. So I will definately need to purchase the tranny filler tool thingie? Anyone have the OTC part#?
The torque converter bolt pattern is different(wider) as well (I measured the 5R55s against the 5R55E torque convertor in my shop)! I called Ford and they stated the flexplate is different. Oh well more shxx to buy. A custom driveshaft will definately be needed because the back of the tranny has a flange type yoke (the type like on a rear end) on the output shaft. So I guess while getting a shaft made I may just get a carbon fiber, but at the minimum I will get an aluminum. The strange thing with the Explorer sport is they have a steel driveshaft where the 4 door has an aluminum. Just freakin strange. I can figure that one out.

OK now I am confused, I thought the E and the W were the same. And I thought my 01 SOHC Mounty had an E however when I look at the original Ford manual it only mentions the 4r70w(for the V8) and the 5R55W(SOHC). So if that is the case, what the heck do I have, and what is it rated for. I just crawled under it but I couldnt find any markings..

Geesh, just when I thought I had it all figured out <G>

Looking forward to you swap writup, should be very interesting!!

ADDED...
here's an image from my manual, the front cover says 2001 Mercury Mountaineer
(lost photo)

As to what its rated for, it would all be the same for the most part as this figure is embeded into the transmission's naming syntax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK now I am confused, I thought the E and the W were the same. And I thought my 01 SOHC Mounty had an E however when I look at the original Ford manual it only mentions the 4r70w(for the V8) and the 5R55W(SOHC). So if that is the case, what the heck do I have, and what is it rated for. I just crawled under it but I couldnt find any markings..

Geesh, just when I thought I had it all figured out <G>

Looking forward to you swap writup, should be very interesting!!

ADDED...
here's an image from my manual, the front cover says 2001 Mercury Mountaineer
trannysmall.jpg

Your SOHC v-6 does have a 5R55E up till 2001. The 5R55S/W/N are all "sister trannies" w and s being in the explorer having both available bellhousing for the 6 & 8.

Back