5R55S swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S swap

Thanks James for the update. I like the idea you have, because strength and reliability is my main goal. I've delivered mail with a 91 4x4, and a 93 4x4, and my current 99 4x4. The A4LD was a big liability for me in the first two, and I don't know how much better the 5R55E is. I chose the SOHC/5R55E for the fual mileage, right now that looks like a bad choice.

My engine has a code 0171 which I haven't hunted down yet. Hopefully there is more effficiency in it than I've seen so far. I'm hoping to get a few years with it as it is, until a trans rebuild is due. I'll be watching to see how this all goes. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks James for the update. I like the idea you have, because strength and reliability is my main goal. I've delivered mail with a 91 4x4, and a 93 4x4, and my current 99 4x4. The A4LD was a big liability for me in the first two, and I don't know how much better the 5R55E is. I chose the SOHC/5R55E for the fual mileage, right now that looks like a bad choice.

My engine has a code 0171 which I haven't hunted down yet. Hopefully there is more effficiency in it than I've seen so far. I'm hoping to get a few years with it as it is, until a trans rebuild is due. I'll be watching to see how this all goes. Regards,

p0171 o r 174 is a vac leak after the maf (usually the intake manifold gaskets) on the little sohc. As far as the 5R55E I don't understand the bad rap this thing has gotten. Mine has been tough as nails. Incredible tranny. I have definately tested the durability of this trans. Ok back on track now....

Latest update 6May2007

Ok guys the ball is rolling. Got the truck in the shop and had the tranny on the ground in about 1hr15mins. Mine removal was real easy due to the amount of ball and sockets I have in my exhaust system, no cats, etc. But overall I maybe would've been about 1hr.40min if all was stock. I took pics and wow once the trannies were beside each other it was obvious the difference in the trans. The S is so much larger in the body than the E. I dont forsee any problems with me hitting the 7's now! Ok lets start the pics-these are just on the 5R55S no comparison at this moment!

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 4,713
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 3,434
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 2,891
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,866

This is the powertrain control solutions controller+wiring harness. As you can see high quality connectors(factory Ford) in mock up status.

Attachments

• PICT0077.JPG
    PICT0077.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 4,306
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,903
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,858

Side by side comparisons. Not the body of the tranny..Soooo much larger (this means here I go into the 7's)

Attachments

• PICT0096.JPG
    PICT0096.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 2,840
  • PICT0097.JPG
    PICT0097.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,851
  • PICT0098.JPG
    PICT0098.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,818
  • PICT0099.JPG
    PICT0099.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,834

Note the differences in the servo sizes...The 5r55S is on the right, also has the larger servo's!

Attachments

• PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,783
  • PICT0101.JPG
    PICT0101.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,791
  • PICT0100.JPG
    PICT0100.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 2,821

Look at the difference in the trannies again. Also look at the beefier bellhousing of the S versus the E! Middle pic 5R55S bottom 5R55E. The 5R55S is so much more reinforced.

Attachments

• PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,767
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 2,749
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,742

Some electrical connection differences. The E has a "clip" which retains the main solenoid connector packet and the S has screw retention. Note that the range sensor is 180* between the S and the E!

Attachments

• PICT0105.JPG
    PICT0105.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,753
  • PICT0106.JPG
    PICT0106.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,751
  • PICT0107.JPG
    PICT0107.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,726

There is a difference in the flexplate for the S and the E. Torque converters are different as well. You will have to purchase a new flexplate if doing this conversion. The hole pattern which the converter mounts to the flexplate is different between the two. Left is the 5R55S and right is the 5R55E in all pics except the last I screwed up and oh well the more silverish is the new S. One thing to note the torque converter bolts are standard on the E and metric on the S. 3/8 versus 10mm(metric 3/8" LOL) Diameter is roughly the same but the S is a little deeper converter

Attachments

• PICT0110.JPG
    PICT0110.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,701
  • PICT0109.JPG
    PICT0109.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,729
  • PICT0108.JPG
    PICT0108.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,755
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,709

Bellhousing bolted to the engine. The x-member isn't connected yet. One thing to note is order bellhousing bolts and torque converter nuts for the v-6 'Stang. The bolts which were used by my truck are too short, and the torque convertor nuts are of the metric variety. The bolts are just holding the trans to the engine at this moment. This problem will be rectified by purchasing the correct hardware. By this time we were celebrating and drinking beer. So technically the trans did get into the truck just not completely.

Attachments

• PICT0113.JPG
    PICT0113.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 2,875
  • PICT0111.JPG
    PICT0111.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 2,700

Thanks to Chris, Kevin, and David (moral support-"ya'll need another beer?")=Celebration!!!!!!!!:chug: :bdrunk:

Attachments

• PICT0115.JPG
    PICT0115.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,701

Sticky time. I have had many of your impressions of the diofferences between the 5R and the 5W I have in the garage. I'll be curious to see the actual servo piston size difference. I have not taken mine apart yet.

After checking my tranny(5R55E-stock),assembled of course, I noticed that the output shaft has alot of play. Looking at around 1/4 play in the output shaft. WOW:eek: heres my driveline vibration I couldn't ever get rid of with in the last 4months.
Anyone looking to install the 5R55S in thier truck keep in mind have a friend with help installing. I have installed a E by myself but I just don't see the S being a single man job! You will gain an estimated 50# on the E going to the S.

Ok ordered a bellhousing bolt kit because the S takes different length bolts(same threads) than the E so... you will have to purchase the correct bolts. Ditto with the torque converter nuts metric versus standard. Ford ends up with some more money for hardware. Just a note the E bellhousing bolts are too short (about 1/4 maybe a little more). I put them in(my old ones) just to hold the tranny to the engine. Once the correct bolts are in I will get them installed. Also ordered a shifter cable bracket(different as well), all parts should be in on Wed. I am also working on the wiring. Now everything gets real interesting. I hope to have the o/d cancel switch on the shifter working properly with this conversion as well, light illuminating and everything. So right now we are working this little issue out. Just keeping you guys informed!

I will be working the crossmember out as well. This shouldn't be a major problem. So within the next week I should be well onto my way. I will also include more pics!

Are u sure the tranny isn't in the truck backwards? all that beer you drink!

Are u sure the tranny isn't in the truck backwards? all that beer you drink!

You know your in trouble when the cost of the job is exceeded by the cost of refreshments:thumbsup:

Saturday was a heck of a day! Worked all day on this (really in between being disturbed by family,etc). I got the crossmember in,torque converter bolted to the flexplate,controller wired minus the positive wire. I still need to install a relay for the controller positive wire and mount the map sensor,otherwise the controller is wired. Ordered my driveshaft Friday and should be shipping Monday(today). I will install the starter this week as well. Hopefully the starter for the 'Stang and the truck are the same. The bolts match up but there is a little gap around 1 side. I will submit pics later this evening.

MAP sensor?

I guess since I know these things I expect you guys to know as well. This trans controller has various inputs for determining load. I am going to be using all the available inputs.
1) CLT temp sensor
2) IAT sensor
3) TP sensor
4) Speed Sensor
5) Trans sensors (Turbine shaft sensor,Intermediate shaft sensor & Output shaft sensor).
6) DTRS (Digital Trans Range Sensor)
7) Trans temp sensor
8) MAP-Manifold Absolute Sensor-GM style 3 bar-senses boost in boosted vehicles and ups the line pressures accordingly. I opted to go with this because of the amount of tuning involved to get it right and I could never replicate every situation available. So, I decided to let the computer do what it does the best and calculate in real time.

I felt the more inputs the better. I could've left off the CLT and IAT sensors but these inputs are used in the factory setup so I decided to use everything the factory setup uses minus the MAF sensor(this is one of the sensors used to determine load in the factory setup).

Another unique thing about this tranny controller is that you can program various digital inputs-such as paddle shifting. I may explore this opportunity later if this trans will support it. Right now I am just concerned with getting it up and running and shifting properly!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another unique thing about this tranny controller is that you can program various digital inputs-such as paddle shifting. I may explore this opportunity later if this trans will support it. Right now I am just concerned with getting it up and running and shifting properly!

So since these controllers are available for the 5r55e as well I assume the same paddle shift feature could be added to that application.

Would that be a full manual mode?

That would be sweet, I would love to make my tranny a manual automatic, for towing purposes. :thumbsup:

Back