5R55S swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that one chart looks like something my 2 year old daughter colored for me the other night.

Where do you think James got his tuning ideas from. James, how old is your daughter now? ;)

Update 6June2007

Just got upstairs from finalizing the initial setup. All I can say is there will be plenty of room to grow with this tranny! I am very impressed with the shift firmness and quickness to execute the shifts. I really am happy up to this point with this conversion. I believe I am beyond the "ready to push my truck off a cliff mode"!

Onto the trans tuning. Russ and I have finally began to hit all the right parameters with the tuning and now are able to how this trans works for the initial setup. I have actually completed a wot pull>which was a success and now I am happy. :D All my hard work is starting to pay off. I really need to take this moment and once again thank PCS(Russ) for thier dedication to me with this project. I am a dealer and thier support to me will ensure that my customers are taken care of. I have extropolated the shift schedules from my other tuning into this one and feel confident that now I am onto the fine tuning. Shift firmness,etc. This can only be done by driving the vehicle to get the desired results. I will take it on the first venture(trip more than 2 miles at a time) soon. It has to be right by next weekend because I am towing my tournament inboard ski boat 150miles (round trip) to a friend of ours, this is our once a year trip to thier place . I will post some screen shots of the tuning for you guys to see. Just thought I would give an update to the progress. :)

Rob - Just change your sig to say "A crapton of boost".
That's all that's needed.

I believe a crapton to boost conversion table would be nice.:wavey:

Where do you think James got his tuning ideas from. James, how old is your daughter now? ;)

3.5 and she is the inspiration for me. I am contemplating at the moment which Mustang to build her. I am leaning towards a 96-03 at this moment. Twins will be on it(turbos). Being a tuner I will definately not give her full power till we are at the track. I still have around 10 years to get serious. She already loves my truck and states all the time that it is hers and not mine!! She may have just laid claim to my truck. Oh well, I guess as long as she is happy.

Drove the truck to work today. Wow what a difference the lower first gear makes. Very interesting. I think I have the shift schedules really close. Now all I need is some fine adjustments. No probs on the way to work lets see if I make it home.

Made it home without a hitch. Did a few dead stop wot pulls. The y pipe is allowing the turbo to spool sooner so I will definately need to retune the truck as I now have a bog off the line. This trans feels really good. I did a few datalogs and with street tires I completed the 1/8th in about 89mph. Hopefully this unscientific method will definately carry over to the track.

Engine tuning

After doing a wot pull last week noticing the turbo spooling sooner,etc. I really wanted to know where my a/f's laid. Concerned about the bog I hooked my FAST wideband up and started tuning. On the first wot pull the a/f's were rich!!!!!! 10.0:1 rich. WOW, I knew this y-pipe was really moving air and assisting in spooling the turbo sooner but I had no idea of how much. The reasoning for the rich condition is the lower rpms and earlier spooling( causing the MAF to draw more air at lower rpm's and fuel for it as well. This is just proof of how well this Y-pipe is working for me(or the turbo! I am super impressed so far with the flow results). I made 3 pulls and the truck was tuned. After evaluating the datalogs I am moving the same amount of air through the engine (MAF ad counts) at 6psi as I was previously at 9psi. This is a good thing. The only bad thing is the 90MM Lightning MAF is running at 90% duty cycle at 6psi and this is too close to the max window for me(SCT recommends running MAF,injectors,etc. @ max 80% duty cycle-for a safety net,especially boosted). An upgrade to the new SCT BA-2600 MAF will be installed shortly.

Rob, I'm surprised that you forgot the best 5R available so far, the Aviator 5R55.

There isn't a difference with the AVI tranny. It uses a 5R55s.

James - I really need you in my truck soon.

James - I really need you in my truck soon.

Remote tuning is an option and we could do a thread on it educating the fellow members on this option.

The Aviator, Lincolns have always received the best transmission parts generally. In the 80's the Mark VII had the best AOD's, in the 90's they had the largest OD drums. In the Aviator the gearing is the best among the V8 five speeds, no matter which magic letter the trans ends with.

BTW, are you sure that the Lightning MAF is maxed out with a 4.0 engine? That sounds very odd, given that it came on 5.4 engines with much more boost. I have been planning on starting with a Lightning MAF for my 302 with 9+psi to begin with. Regards,

Remote tuning is an option and we could do a thread on it educating the fellow members on this option.

Okay - Sounds good for the NA tune.

Let me get the exhaust together and we'll do the remote tune thread; I'll then get some numbers so we can see what a turbo will do for me.

By the way, Nice job on this conversion!!

That would be a good idea. Tell them all the in's and out's so that they understand and do not become so overwhelmed by a process that most do not understand. It would probably influence people enough to go ahead and get remote tuned instead of suffering with a crappy tune because they are far away from a local tuner.

BTW, are you sure that the Lightning MAF is maxed out with a 4.0 engine? That sounds very odd, given that it came on 5.4 engines with much more boost. I have been planning on starting with a Lightning MAF for my 302 with 9+psi to begin with. Regards,

I can assure you that James is running enough flow through that L-MAF that it will be close to pegging. Close enough where it will be advisable to get a bigger MAF like he plans on doing. Oops, sorry about selling the 2400 bro. ;) It is always best to have a little wiggle room in the top of your MAF range so that you know you will not be pegging it anytime soon. It is a safety precaution.

The Aviator, Lincolns have always received the best transmission parts generally. In the 80's the Mark VII had the best AOD's, in the 90's they had the largest OD drums. In the Aviator the gearing is the best among the V8 five speeds, no matter which magic letter the trans ends with.

My Lightning meter is running at around 821 ad counts with 1023 ad counts being maxed. If my math serves me correct I am running at 80% duty cycle(80% duty cycle is where SCT recommends upgrading the injectors,MAF, and fuel pumps). I am positive that I am running this MAF to its full potential. The datalogs don't lie. I believe that it is hard for people to realize the power I am actually making. It is stupid ridiculous. BTW, food for thought the Lightning and Cobra (Terminator) MAF's are the same, this is generally the first upgrade these guys do when power starts being made. Why do you think the MAFia and SCT BA-series meters sell so well? I(HensonPerformance,Inc.) just dyno tuned a customers 04 Terminator which Is completely stock(stock supercharger pulley,stock intake box,stock cold air intake (rubber corrugated crap)with the exception of a MAC h-pipe and MAC 3" catback and a solid axle swap. I have been upgrading this car since 13K miles (virgin) I am positive this car is stock as I performed the solid axle swap with only 13800 on the odo. A stock 4.6L and the his meter is running at 960 ad counts out of 1023. This car hasn't even begun to be modded and he is running out of meter...93.8% duty cycle. His Cobra and my truck roughly make the same power. I actually run faster at the track than he does!

I don't believe Ford currently makes a Lincoln aviator spec 5R55S tranny. They get a trans with the same gearing as any other 5R55S and the guts are the same as well. Just like the Aviator engine is shared with the sn-95 Mach 1's....same engine. Which is why this engine performed so well in the 'Stang, it was a car with a deep breathing 32V and truck cams for torque.As far as the s versus w comparo the W gets the wide ratio gear set. At this moment,this is the only difference I am aware of!

My Lightning meter is running at around 821 ad counts with 1023 ad counts being maxed. If my math serves me correct I am running at 80% duty cycle(80% duty cycle is where SCT recommends upgrading the injectors,MAF, and fuel pumps). I am positive that I am running this MAF to its full potential. The datalogs don't lie. I believe that it is hard for people to realize the power I am actually making. It is stupid ridiculous. BTW, food for thought the Lightning and Cobra (Terminator) MAF's are the same, this is generally the first upgrade these guys do when power starts being made. Why do you think the MAFia and SCT BA-series meters sell so well? I(HensonPerformance,Inc.) just dyno tuned a customers 04 Terminator which Is completely stock(stock supercharger pulley,stock intake box,stock cold air intake (rubber corrugated crap)with the exception of a MAC h-pipe and MAC 3" catback and a solid axle swap. I have been upgrading this car since 13K miles (virgin) I am positive this car is stock as I performed the solid axle swap with only 13800 on the odo. A stock 4.6L and the his meter is running at 960 ad counts out of 1023. This car hasn't even begun to be modded and he is running out of meter...93.8% duty cycle. His Cobra and my truck roughly make the same power. I actually run faster at the track than he does!

I don't believe Ford currently makes a Lincoln aviator spec 5R55S tranny. They get a trans with the same gearing as any other 5R55S and the guts are the same as well. Just like the Aviator engine is shared with the sn-95 Mach 1's....same engine. Which is why this engine performed so well in the 'Stang, it was a car with a deep breathing 32V and truck cams for torque.As far as the s versus w comparo the W gets the wide ratio gear set. At this moment,this is the only difference I am aware of!

hmm, if you are maxing yours out, I wonder how mine is going to react at 9psi in blowthrough? Looks like I will be buying an SCT meter or MAFia.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish you all well, truly. But I do not buy that a 4.0 engine with less boost than a stock Lightning is flowing more air mass than the 5.4 engine with the higher boost. I know that the turbo is more efficient, and I know that the positive displacement units force air in. The air intake temperatures would have to be extremely poor in the Cobra and Lightning to account for such a disparity.

I want to believe it, I would truly rather have whatever system makes better power, under the curve. Regards,

Back