5R55S swap | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S swap

I wish you all well, truly. But I do not buy that a 4.0 engine with less boost than a stock Lightning is flowing more air mass than the 5.4 engine with the higher boost. I know that the turbo is more efficient, and I know that the positive displacement units force air in. The air intake temperatures would have to be extremely poor in the Cobra and Lightning to account for such a disparity.

I want to believe it, I would truly rather have whatever system makes better power, under the curve. Regards,

Don, you might want to tread lightly here bud, James isn't exactly a noob here. In your rebuttle you pretty much hit the nail RIGHT on the head, which is that his turbo runs one HELL of allot cooler than a Heaton on that Lightning. Also he is intercooled which increases power as well and in turn requirements of the MAF. Also, he IS running higher boost then a Lightning is too. IAT's are REDICULOUS in those Eaton superchargers. Probably about 100+ degrees hotter than James' turbo. James is not mistaken at all when he says his L-MAF is about to peg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's where I was twirling in the data, that inlet temperature is the mass of the air, and the only way that a smaller engine could injest more than....

I'd like to see how the turbo lag works out, I had years ago wanted twin turbos on my Mark VII, but the EECIV computer was not good enough for a Lincoln. Our trucks need a lot of bottom end, and those 3.22:1 first gears of the 5R55 V8 transmissions make a big difference. Our AOD's are what, about 2.84:1 first gears?

hmm, if you are maxing yours out, I wonder how mine is going to react at 9psi in blowthrough? Looks like I will be buying an SCT meter or MAFia.

You will lose resolution in a blow thru and once you go with smaller tubing it gets worse. :eek:

Okay - Sounds good for the NA tune.

Let me get the exhaust together and we'll do the remote tune thread; I'll then get some numbers so we can see what a turbo will do for me.

By the way, Nice job on this conversion!!

Call me and we will talk! This won't be a problem. But for the turbo, I will have to come to you initially. I could remote tune but won't prefer it.

I wish you all well, truly. But I do not buy that a 4.0 engine with less boost than a stock Lightning is flowing more air mass than the 5.4 engine with the higher boost. I know that the turbo is more efficient, and I know that the positive displacement units force air in. The air intake temperatures would have to be extremely poor in the Cobra and Lightning to account for such a disparity.

I want to believe it, I would truly rather have whatever system makes better power, under the curve. Regards,
Don,
The Cobra and Lightning factory Eatons are inferior to any type of forced induction out there. They generate too much heat. The IAT's will easily run 80-100* above ambient just cruising. My IAT's run 12-20* above abient cruising and about 10* above ambient under boost & within a 1* of ambient with my meth operational. Even the Kenne Bell and Whipple systems produce soooo much more heat than a turbo, even with meth they will be lucky to be within 40* ambient. Also with the turbo being remote mounted the tubing coming to the front scavenges heat as well.

That's where I was twirling in the data, that inlet temperature is the mass of the air, and the only way that a smaller engine could injest more than....

I'd like to see how the turbo lag works out, I had years ago wanted twin turbos on my Mark VII, but the EECIV computer was not good enough for a Lincoln. Our trucks need a lot of bottom end, and those 3.22:1 first gears of the 5R55 V8 transmissions make a big difference. Our AOD's are what, about 2.84:1 first gears?
Before when I had stock converters my truck would start boosting at around a 2800 rpm. If I were cruising and stomp it, before the complete execution of the downshift the turbo would be in boost. I really feel that earlier turboes combined with ill sizing has given turbos a reputation of lag. They will definately lag if sizing is wrong. But now with my new y-pipe the boost comes on sooner around 2250 (neighborhood) and I guarentee you won't feel any lag. Lag is due to an improperly sized turbo and/or improper tubing design.

Back on track-trans tuning

Working on some more shift point and I also have enable the engine braking. I will know more of how this will effect deceleration after a few logs. I plan on getting my truck on a lift and getting some pics to post then maybe we can finalize this with some track video's and timeslips (much cooler weather,of course!). I really want you guys to see the finished pics and how everything came together. Thanks to all for the interest!:)

Any idea what this might cost in kit form for everything required? Mine is 4wd BTW. You can PM me if you want.

My truck is NA for now, but the trans needs another rebuild pretty soon. I'd like something that will survive for more than 6 months at a time.

Any idea what this might cost in kit form for everything required? Mine is 4wd BTW. You can PM me if you want.

My truck is NA for now, but the trans needs another rebuild pretty soon. I'd like something that will survive for more than 6 months at a time.
Who are you using to build your tranny? And what are you doing with it. If you keep the bands adusted and trans fluid changed and treat it correctly the 5R55E will live.

James,

I took it to the local dealership and they rebuilt it under warranty. It was supposedly their "trans expert"....I had to wait a couple extra weeks until he was available. I don't know much about auto trans internals, so I wanted a professional to handle it. The valve body, second gear and 5th gear pieces were replaced along with some other worn out stuff inside. I've taken it in for noises and slipping since then and they said everything is adjusted correctly and within specs. Fluid looks and smells fine and is to the correct level. The constant squealing noise just started again a couple of weeks ago and is what it sounded like just before second and fifth gears went out last time. The dealer won't do anything until the truck is undriveable. They don't want to pull it apart if they don't know what exactly what's wrong. Its out of warranty now, so I don't want them to just start replacing random stuff until they fix it either. I won't be taking it back and instead will be replacing it myself, hopefully with something more durable.

The "treating it correctly" is where I have a problem. It gets driven almost as hard as my Mustangs and tow alot with it several times a week. It also gets beat on off road a few times a year. I don't see my driving habits changing much so I need something that can handle that. I am planning on installing a better trans cooler and external filter on whatever trans it ends up with though. I also wanted to eventually use one of my extra turbos after I finish the DIY single setup on my '83 Mustang.

well there just went my morning hour to this forum...awesome project james.

We need them pictures and video asap.

This link has a PDF with a lot of information: http://www.ratiotek.com/tmp/5r55w-complete.pdf

Thanks for this link... Real good stuff.

well there just went my morning hour to this forum...awesome project james.

We need them pictures and video asap.

Vids and all are coming but I am currently installing and tuning the new BA2600 maf and still perfecting the trans shifting. Until that is done I am just kind of idle. Here is one thing I will post up some more screen shots.

jah81592 said:
Vids and all are coming....

Sweet, can't wait to see it in action!

Thanks for this link... Real good stuff.

Vids and all are coming but I am currently installing and tuning the new BA2800 maf and still perfecting the trans shifting. Until that is done I am just kind of idle. Here is one thing I will post up some more screen shots.

Shoot James I thought you already had that file. Had I known you didn't have it I would have sent it to you a while ago. Oops.

Correction: I installed the BA2600!!! My bad.

Shoot James I thought you already had that file. Had I known you didn't have it I would have sent it to you a while ago. Oops.

Robert
It would be nice if you had a file for a Turbocharged 4.0L with a BA-2600! But then that wouldn't make me a tuner if I couldn't even tune my own vehicle. Ouch.That would suck.

When you open the software you will be greeted by the welcome screen

welcome screen.jpg

Here is a snapshot of the tuning folders.Really doesn't look like alot,but once you start opening them there is plenty of information to confuse even the best tuners.

tuning screen.jpg

This is my dashboard, a very simple but effective way to see what is going on. Please don't mistake this as datalogging. It isn't. It is simply a real time "snapshot".

dashboard screenshot.jpg

Correction: I installed the BA2600!!! My bad.

Robert
It would be nice if you had a file for a Turbocharged 4.0L with a BA-2600! But then that wouldn't make me a tuner if I couldn't even tune my own vehicle. Ouch.That would suck.

I tuned one just the other day. Let me pull the file out of my back pocket and send it to you. :D :p:

Yeah, capability and motivation sometimes draw us in different ways. There have been occassions where I just wanted to wash my hands of some big projects and let someone else handle it just so I didn't have to mess with things. Gladly those were only temptations and I never followed through with them. I will be waiting patiently for your datalogs for the 2600. hopefully MAF AD Counts will look like --------- and not -_-_-_-_----___--_--_. Hehehe.

You guys are starting to talk spanish again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob, how would you describe the way your engine is running with the higher boost, compared to the lower levels? Do you see more significant heat issues between 10-14psi, or near 20psi? I'd like to find a level where I have no worries about any issues, just decent gas. Regards,

Back