5R55S swap | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S swap

It's not a good idea to mix both fluids since your transmission should only use Mercon V. You might experience TCC slippage. This might be what you're experiencing now, and think that it's a band out of adjustment. Try a bottle of Lubegard with friction modifier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lubegard does make a specific additive to use with Mercon to emulate the Mercon V.

BTW, the Dexron III is what was always the same fluid that met specs of that and Mercon. So even though the Mercon is no longer available, the Dexron III is very likely the exact same fluid as what used to be called Mercon/Dexron III.

where is the link to the guy that makes the o ringed servo's, need to order today

Thank you to everyone who helped me, especially Cobraguy and Ronin8002.
Problem solved.
After three hours of service and a lot of patience, the expert was able to accommodate the screw in its proper place. Using only two pieces of iron wire. It was necessary to remove the oil pan.
Price of service - $ 175.00
Problem ... he had no ATF Mercon V and was forced to complete the oil level with the Dexron III. Any problem with that?

Another big question: What is the symptom of a band too tight and too loose?

Thank you

Glad you got it fixed.

As far as the Dextron III, it depends on the specific type of fluid. If the guy can prove to you that what he used is rated for both Mercon V and Dextron III, you might be OK. If not, then you probably should have him drain and flush with Mercon V ASAP.

Thanks, Ronin8002 from va

I have a quick regarding the swap out of a 5R55W to a 5R55S. I have an 02 Mountaineer w/ the "W" and have managed to score an "S" from an 06 Mustang. The biggest difference is on the back of the transmission. The extension housing is completely different on the "S" from the "W" although the bolt pattern (to the housing) is the same. The "S" is shorter and has a "flange" where the "W" is longer and accepts a yoke. what do I need to do to swap them out?

I have a quick regarding the swap out of a 5R55W to a 5R55S. I have an 02 Mountaineer w/ the "W" and have managed to score an "S" from an 06 Mustang. The biggest difference is on the back of the transmission. The extension housing is completely different on the "S" from the "W" although the bolt pattern (to the housing) is the same. The "S" is shorter and has a "flange" where the "W" is longer and accepts a yoke. what do I need to do to swap them out?

Just sell the S and get another W. By the time you have adapted things for the S you will be into it for more money and way more time than if you kept things simple and went with the W.

Thank you to everyone who helped me, especially Cobraguy and Ronin8002.
Problem solved.
After three hours of service and a lot of patience, the expert was able to accommodate the screw in its proper place. Using only two pieces of iron wire. It was necessary to remove the oil pan.
Price of service - $ 175.00
Problem ... he had no ATF Mercon V and was forced to complete the oil level with the Dexron III. Any problem with that?

Another big question: What is the symptom of a band too tight and too loose?

Thank you

A year and six months later.

During a trip of 200 miles, the check transmission light lit on my 2005 Ford Explorer.
I turned off the engine and turn it on again the light went out, but the transmission was a strange noise. It looks like a chain dragging noise. Check out the video.
When followed journey I realized that third or second gear (I'm not sure which of the two) is not working accordingly.

This noise can be a broken band? Torque converter?

Thanks in advance any help.

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 V6 - Transmission 5R55S

Video - http://www.4shared.com/video/LISa-7t1ba/2005_Ford_Explorer_Vdeo.html

A year and six months later.

During a trip of 200 miles, the check transmission light lit on my 2005 Ford Explorer.
I turned off the engine and turn it on again the light went out, but the transmission was a strange noise. It looks like a chain dragging noise. Check out the video.
When followed journey I realized that third or second gear (I'm not sure which of the two) is not working accordingly.

This noise can be a broken band? Torque converter?

Thanks in advance any help.

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 V6 - Transmission 5R55S

Video - http://www.4shared.com/video/LISa-7t1ba/2005_Ford_Explorer_Vdeo.html

In answer to your PM I am of no help here. I think you should start a new thread in this sub forum for more views. Good luck!

5R55S swap/conversion

This thread is going to be in detail about what it takes to swap a 5R55S into your Explorer.

Awesome thread.

I'm going to try to recap some bits of information I have gleaned from this thread. My application is for a rear-wheel drive car with a 2.8 Cologne V6, and possibly a 3.4 Cologne V6 stroker, with a driveshaft.

• The early 5R55N is not preferred. The later S and W transmissions are stronger.
  • I'll probably need to find a 5R55W to get an output shaft that will take a slip yoke.
  • The 5R55W has a second gear ratio of 2.41 and a fifth gear ratio of .75.
  • The 5R55S has a second gear ratio of 2.29 and a fifth gear ratio of .71.
  • This transmission requires an electronic controller and hookups to several sensors.
I seem to recall that one of the versions of the 5R55 was physically smaller. Perhaps the early version of the 5R55N has a smaller case? That would be useful information to know.

Thanks for any help offered.

Paul

I installed a replacement tranny (from a parts truck) today in my 2002 4dr v6 and upon reconnecting the harness to the vehicle i noticed that one of the connectors is slightly different.
In the engine bay, there is the big, square plug that bolts into the firewall and there is a smaller 8-pin near it. The 8-pin is the same inside but there are notches on the side that are positioned differently. Why is the connector different and can I just splice on my old end to make this work? Where do I go from here?

Can I swap my 5r55w with a 5r55s from a 2003 Aviator? If so, will I need to do a tune on my PCM?

Old thread here, but I figured I'd give others a answer if they are searching for the swap info. The answer is yes, you can swap it out. I swapped my rebuilt 5R55S out of my 03 4.6L AWD Mountaineer with a blown engine into a 2002 4.6L Explorer XLT 4 wheel drive that had the 5R55W. There was nothing special about this, just a straight swap. I didn't have to swap PCM, harness, etc. I have 400 miles on the Explorer and not a single issue...yet.

What a great write up and the pictures are still there and working to this day awesome. Got a 5r55e with a Borg Warner 1356 in my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport 2dr and was thinkin to myself 5r55s swap and found this thread instantly. Although i would have to get the 4x4 5r55s and it looks like only the borg warner 4419(i think its the 4419) bolts up to it. The transfer case im thinkin of is the one that comes on the 4dr v8 explorers(either 02 to 05 or 05 to 09 or both). But theyre All Wheel Drive i think, i would prefer to have 2wd 4hi 4low. I do know their are guys that wire in a switch to disconnect the electronically controlled viscous clutch in the tcase to the front driveshaft so that it becomes 2wd instead of AWD and i could do that but i wonder what other tcase options i got with the 5r55s. Im pretty sure on either f150s or expeditions and maybe possibly explorers, ive seen 2WD,4AWD,4HI,4LOW (or maybe no 4HI), i wonder what tcase that is. Ive also seen 4x4 auto,4x4 high, 4x4 low, thats the AWD with the electronically controlled viscous clutch i think. Def gotta do some research. I could prolly make an adapter plate to mate my BW 1356 to a 4x4 5r55s which is prolly what i would prefer to do granted as long as the trans and tcase shafts are the same spline and size and long enuff to do an adapter plate. Thatd prolly be the easiest option. Unless i got a better tcase option for 2wd 4hi 4low. Im also plannin on makin a cpl cruise control buttons the shift buttons. Im gonna have a switch that when the switch is one way its cruise control and when its the other way i can shift with the cruise buttons and the trans starts shifting more for perf (raises shift pressures, changes shift points a lil, quicker shifts,etc). I was thinkin bout makin a sequential shifter in the center but naa. Itd be kool if i could put one of the newer ford column shifters on there, the ones with the shift buttons.

As far as controlling the transmission id like to try to make it work with the factory harness and PCM if possible. Although that standalone controller would be very cool and def wouldnt be a problem and im better at tuning auto transmissions then engines lol. Plus im a wiring guru lolz. The only reason im curious about hookin it into the factory harness and PCM is because i have a Livewire TS and SCT Advantage 3 software and i consider myself kind of intermediate when it comes to tuning and ive been doin it for at least a decade and have taken lots of classes. Still only slightly above a beginner. Anyways the factory trans harness would have to plug into my engine harnes or i could repin connectors to make it fit if possible of course u gotta check wiring diagrams.
But heres the real question: In the SCT Advantage 3 software in the tune file for my eaton m90 4.0 sohc with a 5r55e, under the transmission parameters it gives u an option to select wat type of transmission. Now you have to pick a number for the trans type either 0-4 or 0-5. Zero would be no transmission so the PCM would know it doesnt have to control the transmission. I think number 1 is my trans the 5r55e. I dont know what transmissions would correspond to numbers 2, 3, 4, nd mabe 5. Their is a description for trans type under trans parameters that might either describe it or maybe even say the diff trans types for each number but i dont think so, i just forget what the description says. Sct most likely wont know the diff trans types for the PCM, i dont know who would have that info, prolly some Ford EEC genius. So lets say hypothetically one of those other trans type numbers was for the 5r55s would that change any trans pins comin out of the PCM. It prolly wuld just be easier to go with the standalone unit like the guy that did this write up went with. I didnt read everything in the thread yet but i did look at all his pictures and i saw that he had to wire quite a few wires into the PCM from the trans controller. Id have to research this controller and see what leads go to what pins and what theyre functions are cuz im curious. Geez i wrote alot i didnt intend to i always do this.

What a great write up and the pictures are still there and working to this day awesome. Got a 5r55e with a Borg Warner 1356 in my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport 2dr and was thinkin to myself 5r55s swap and found this thread instantly. Although i would have to get the 4x4 5r55s and it looks like only the borg warner 4419(i think its the 4419) bolts up to it. The transfer case im thinkin of is the one that comes on the 4dr v8 explorers(either 02 to 05 or 05 to 09 or both). But theyre All Wheel Drive i think, i would prefer to have 2wd 4hi 4low. I do know their are guys that wire in a switch to disconnect the electronically controlled viscous clutch in the tcase to the front driveshaft so that it becomes 2wd instead of AWD and i could do that but i wonder what other tcase options i got with the 5r55s. Im pretty sure on either f150s or expeditions and maybe possibly explorers, ive seen 2WD,4AWD,4HI,4LOW (or maybe no 4HI), i wonder what tcase that is. Ive also seen 4x4 auto,4x4 high, 4x4 low, thats the AWD with the electronically controlled viscous clutch i think. Def gotta do some research. I could prolly make an adapter plate to mate my BW 1356 to a 4x4 5r55s which is prolly what i would prefer to do granted as long as the trans and tcase shafts are the same spline and size and long enuff to do an adapter plate. Thatd prolly be the easiest option. Unless i got a better tcase option for 2wd 4hi 4low. Im also plannin on makin a cpl cruise control buttons the shift buttons. Im gonna have a switch that when the switch is one way its cruise control and when its the other way i can shift with the cruise buttons and the trans starts shifting more for perf (raises shift pressures, changes shift points a lil, quicker shifts,etc). I was thinkin bout makin a sequential shifter in the center but naa. Itd be kool if i could put one of the newer ford column shifters on there, the ones with the shift buttons.

As far as controlling the transmission id like to try to make it work with the factory harness and PCM if possible. Although that standalone controller would be very cool and def wouldnt be a problem and im better at tuning auto transmissions then engines lol. Plus im a wiring guru lolz. The only reason im curious about hookin it into the factory harness and PCM is because i have a Livewire TS and SCT Advantage 3 software and i consider myself kind of intermediate when it comes to tuning and ive been doin it for at least a decade and have taken lots of classes. Still only slightly above a beginner. Anyways the factory trans harness would have to plug into my engine harnes or i could repin connectors to make it fit if possible of course u gotta check wiring diagrams.
But heres the real question: In the SCT Advantage 3 software in the tune file for my eaton m90 4.0 sohc with a 5r55e, under the transmission parameters it gives u an option to select wat type of transmission. Now you have to pick a number for the trans type either 0-4 or 0-5. Zero would be no transmission so the PCM would know it doesnt have to control the transmission. I think number 1 is my trans the 5r55e. I dont know what transmissions would correspond to numbers 2, 3, 4, nd mabe 5. Their is a description for trans type under trans parameters that might either describe it or maybe even say the diff trans types for each number but i dont think so, i just forget what the description says. Sct most likely wont know the diff trans types for the PCM, i dont know who would have that info, prolly some Ford EEC genius. So lets say hypothetically one of those other trans type numbers was for the 5r55s would that change any trans pins comin out of the PCM. It prolly wuld just be easier to go with the standalone unit like the guy that did this write up went with. I didnt read everything in the thread yet but i did look at all his pictures and i saw that he had to wire quite a few wires into the PCM from the trans controller. Id have to research this controller and see what leads go to what pins and what theyre functions are cuz im curious. Geez i wrote alot i didnt intend to i always do this.

I'm glad that you've done a lot with your 01 Sport, and you like it, but there are big limitations of the 4.0 engine and the transmissions that easily go with it. I'd stick with the main parts unless you really want to upgrade to serious. Then it's more feasible to jump all the way to the later parts, the 2017ish or newer engines and transmissions are far far better, power, strength, and economy. The six speeds are way better than any prior automatics, and those from 2012 and newer are easy to come by etc. But those are made for the later V6's or the V8's, the two versions(bell housing patterns).

The engines also from about 2017 are best, way better power, more rpm, and far better fuel mileage. Hopefully someone and then lots of people, will begin to swap those into older Fords. So far it's mainly just the 5.0 that has caught on, but the V6's are also great improvements over older small engines.

If I were to do this in a 4x4 truck I would probably use a 5r55w out of a 4x4 Explorer which is already setup for the transfer case. Purchase the standalone from me to control the trans and be done with the worries of it connecting to the transfer case. But a whole new set of problems are created as to how do you control the transfer case.-James
Do you still offer a stand alone unit for 5r55w? Thanks

I'm glad that you've done a lot with your 01 Sport, and you like it, but there are big limitations of the 4.0 engine and the transmissions that easily go with it. I'd stick with the main parts unless you really want to upgrade to serious. Then it's more feasible to jump all the way to the later parts, the 2017ish or newer engines and transmissions are far far better, power, strength, and economy. The six speeds are way better than any prior automatics, and those from 2012 and newer are easy to come by etc. But those are made for the later V6's or the V8's, the two versions(bell housing patterns).

The engines also from about 2017 are best, way better power, more rpm, and far better fuel mileage. Hopefully someone and then lots of people, will begin to swap those into older Fords. So far it's mainly just the 5.0 that has caught on, but the V6's are also great improvements over older small engines.
Yeah that 3.7 V6 DOHC that they put in the mustang is pretty good I've seen a guy swap one of those 3.7's into his sport trac and I've even seen a coyote swapped Sport Trac

I've given serious thought to swapping a V8 into my two-door Explorer preferably with dohc, along with a t56 6-speed that has a 4WD tail shaft housing. I also have CAD design files for t56 adapter plates to a cpl different Borg Warner transfer cases. Ideally I would like to get an Atlas transfer case but they're impossible to find and ridiculously expensive these days. I've even given consideration to an automatic 6-speed with select shift, the 6r80 I believe, I could be wrong on that.

The complications with the V8 swap would be retaining the air conditioning system which I was trying to figure out what kind of system Ford used in that schaweeetass prototype SVT lighting bolt ranger they built. I read somewhere that they used some Econoline van HVAC components for the SVT lightning bolt ranger to retain the air conditioning even though they had stuffed a lightning s/c 5.4 sohc in it, plus if you look at the pictures of the engine bay you can tell that the blower box and related components look totally different on the svt lightning bolt ranger than that of a regular ranger. I would also have to mock up my own exhaust header manifolds and custom build the rest of the exhaust which I could do. And then I would have to deal with the four-wheel drive capabilities like making sure the output shaft nd tail housing on the transmission is right for the tcase, making sure I have good fitment for everything, the fuel tank would probably have to be modified or relocated but then again maybe not. And custom driveshafts of course. The 90s 5.0 pushrod (which is not actually a windsor by the way) is a 60° V8 and is pretty much a direct fit for my truck as opposed to the 90° 4.6 V8 which is what they use in the 02 to 05 explorer 4dr and they also use my 4.0 V6 sohc in that same engine bay which means the 4.6 should fit in my engine bay however my 2dr engine bay has a much tighter fit compared to the 4dr engine bay. Their are so many aftermarket nd performance parts for those Old 5.0's and they're easy as hell to work on but I prefer the 4.6 mod motor perhaps even over a coyote but I need more experience with the coyote before I can make that determination lolz, the Coyote 5.0 is actually the same thing as the 4.6 mod motor and what makes the coyote a 5.0 is not a bigger cylinder bore but stroke to rod ratio is what accounts for the .4 liters, so that and variable valve timing nd engine sensors are really the only differences between the Coyote 5.0 and 4.6 mod motor. I would definitely take the GT350 Voodoo 5.2 flat plane crank engine in a heartbeat over the 5.0 or the 4.6, that engine is amazing.

However I'm already on my 5th engine for my Explorer although engines three and four don't really count and I got 360k out of the original motor and it would have kept going if I hadn't raced a raptor. And I'm on my second transmission and third rear axle which has a limited slip diff, the original rear axle for my truck was just an open diff. I pretty much rebuilt the engine that I have in my truck right now. And everybody knows that the timing drive on the 4.0 sohc is like the major weak point along with a couple other things like the Pistons. Maybe eventually I'll put together a built 4.0. But it's even more likely that I'll swap to DOHC cylinder heads for my 4.0. I can get some DOHC BOA or BOB cylinder heads from a 2.9L Sierra cosworth V6 and adapt them to a 4.0 although I might have to use a 4.0 OHV block for that but I think I read that it's possible with the 4.0 SOHC block as well. And that would probably help make the timing drive a little bit better.

So the big picture is I'm already FAR too invested in the V6 setup with my superchargers and my gauges and my modules and my dual alternator and dual battery and the most custom belt drive you'll ever see on a 4.0 SOHC to consider a V8 swap. And I do very much like my 5r55e however I would like to swap to a 5r55s for sure at some point and I've been saving this thread for a long time because I will eventually swap in a 5r55s with select shift. But I'm going to see if I can integrate it into the existing harness and PCM because my SCT advantage 3 tuning software tells me I have a choice of up to four different transmissions in that PCM. I just have to find out which number (1-4) corresponds to a 5r55s, #1 trans type corresponds to the stock 5r55e in the truck. If I can't integrate the 5r55s into the stock harness and PCM then I'm most definitely going to go with a standalone controller like JAH did in this thread that I've been saving forever for a special rainy day LOL. I was thinking about going to an m50d manual transmission but I want to keep the automatic in my truck. Plus snow plowing with a stick shift can get a little annoying. I can stick and plow no problem it just gets a little annoying when you constantly have to go forward and backward like you have to when you're plowing. Oh and I have a customized fully hydraulic Meyer home plow with a custom built controller mounted on the center console, which is why I have dual alternator and dual battery. I also have a 5 inch suspension lift kit that I have yet to install plus I could do a one to three inch body lift and get a few more inches out of bigger tires.

So as you can see I am far too invested in the V6 setup to do a V8 swap although I am planning on buying a 2002 Explorer 4dr 4.6 v8 and doing a DOHC swap and a supercharger. I prefer the 02 4dr because that was the last year they had cable throttle bodies before they went to electronic throttle bodies in 2003. Then I'll probably sell my 2dr sport after I finish the lift kit and replace the rocker panels which i am currently in the middle of doing the driver side rocker panel and I still have to do the passenger side. And then paint the entire truck black including the bottom gray parts of the body. Just about every Explorer sport out there today and maybe sport tracs too have had their factory running boards fall off by now because underneath that plastic side skirt dirt and debris builds up and destroys the rocker panel metal. And you can't even get full rocker panel replacements for the 01-03 2dr sports or sport tracs anymore so I got those slip-on rocker panels for a Sport Trac so I would have extra to work with on my Sport and I cut out what I had to out of the old inner and outer rocker panel and shaped the slip-on panel to fit in where I cut out. It'll be just as good as factory if not better when I finish welding and grinding away and I'll probably install some power running boards.

And that's not even the half of it LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thoughts on swaps, but concentrate on the bigger pictures, and the limitations.

The 2nd gen Explorers are great platforms, but the much larger heads of the modular V8's are too big to fit with the AC systems. I would not attempt that, gutting the dash to install a different AC system from another vehicle would likely be the best possibility. My first project idea was a 4.7 Terminator swapped into my 98 Mountaineer. The heads, the AC issue, is too much trouble.

The late V6's might clear the AC box, I don't know anything about that chance yet. If you have to have the bigger V8's, the Coyote is great, but most swaps seem to cost $8k or more in total. The 3.7 will make 75hp more than the 4.0 SOHC, and shift at 6500rpm instead of 5500. The torque is similar, and the 6R80 trans is bulletproof compared to the 5R transmissions. Just bolting in a stock 3.7 and 6R would be a big upgrade, but the cost would be easily $4k if you leave the engine untouched etc.

Back