5r55s torque converter will not fill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55s torque converter will not fill

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Just got my entire truck (2006 4.0) back together after removing the tranny and engine. Installed all new timing chains, oil pump, and a handful of other things. Its been apart for about a year. Finally buttoned it up and get the truck started. Seems to run great. However the torque converter will not fill.

About a year before pulling it all apart, i dropper the pan and installed a new filter and refilled the tranny from the bottom center drain plug using a pump. Brought it up to temp, filled it, let it drain to a drip, and all was fine.

Tranny worked with no issues. Pulled the tranny for the timing chains and when i did, somewhere along the lines i have a bucket with 5 qts of fluid that i removed from the trans. Got everything back together and now I am pumping in about 5 qts and the 5 qts is draining right back out the fill hole at temp and the truck will not move in any gear.

Seems like the pump is not pumping to the torque converter. Could i be experiencing a stuck pressure relief valve in the pump???? Whats the best way to diagnose this before pulling the trans back out? Do i need to check it with a pressure gauge while running it through the gears?

Any help would be appreciated. My patience is starting to run thin on this project.....

Put a 0-300 psi gauge on the hyd. test port The hyd. test port is just above the pan rail on driver side behind the "DTR" sensor.
In OD and idle should have 60-65psi, stall 225-240psi
reverse idle 120 psi, stall-270-290psi.

What he said^^^^^^^^ sounds like the converter didn’t get seated correctly and broke the inner pump gear. Very easy to do. Did you happen to have this shaft out? Will only work one way as splines are different on each end.
4C723C2D-F911-494E-AFFA-7549D3B31935.jpeg

Good luck
Brad

Back