5R55S transmission (2005 Explorer) manually shift to 3rd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S transmission (2005 Explorer) manually shift to 3rd

tcarney57

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS 4x4
I've got a 2005 Explorer with a 5R55S transmission. I think the servo (or servo seal) is going out on the "D" automatic setting. I can hear it trying to engage, but it just slips. I can manually put it in third and drive away, though. When the transmission is manually put in 3rd gear (or 2nd or 1st, for that matter), is that done by direct linkage or does it use a hydraulic servo the same as if it was shifted automatically?

When I shift it into 3rd, I can feel a detent in the shift lever that's different than when putting it in the "D" position. I have a very-short-term reason for wanting to know how reliable the transmission is in manually-shifted 3rd gear. Does anybody know?

Thanks!

--Todd

I've been running around town in 3rd gear for years now. Drives like a CVT. Over 45 I move it to D and it goes into 4th. (I keep OD disabled or the trans will overheat from slippage)

Sounds like your 1st or 2nd is slipping. 2nd and 5th use the same band/clutch so if one is out the other is out. (My 2nd and 5th don't work).

Upon re-reading it sounds like your 1st is out.

2e3q4o1.png

BTW, is your O/D light flashing?

I've been running around town in 3rd gear for years now. Drives like a CVT. Over 45 I move it to D and it goes into 4th. (I keep OD disabled or the trans will overheat from slippage)

Sounds like your 1st or 2nd is slipping. 2nd and 5th use the same band/clutch so if one is out the other is out. (My 2nd and 5th don't work).

Upon re-reading it sounds like your 1st is out.

BTW, is your O/D light flashing?

Many thanks for your reply! I'm still researching this problem, but I'm happy to hear that at least one other person has been driving in manual 3rd. Thanks also for the gearshift chart.

Last night I tried out shifting to "D" around 45mph and it works well. In fact, it seems to stay in 4th until around 20mph then cuts out. If I'm not mistaken, this is more evidence for the dreaded servo-shaft wear issue--it doesn't engage unless the hydraulic pressure is higher with higher speeds, and it drops out at lower speeds. As I understand it, the transmission's valve body and servos can be serviced without taking the tranny off the truck, so this gives me some hope of a cheaper fix than failed bands and/or clutch packs.

Once up to speed and in "D," the overdrive seems to work normally--I can engage and disengage it. The O/D light has *not* been flashing. It's my understanding that overdrive won't engage--regardless of whether it's "on" or "off"--unless you're up to speed and in "D." Do you think there still might be O/D slipping in that situation?

Thanks again.

Todd

Back