• Register Today It's free!

5r55s vs 5r55w

reansor

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Is the rebuild kit for a 5r55s transmission comprable with a 5r55w transmission?

Is the rebuild kit for a 5r55s transmission comprable with a 5r55w transmission?
@reansor
As far as I know, yes, but why not consult a supplier of kits and see if the same kit services both? If gears are being replaced, then no, they are not identical. The "W"is a wide-ratio geared design. imp

Thanks. I think I've actually narrowed it down to the transfer case, not the transmission. It was driving fine although the transfer case had had a noticeable clunk to it when I engaged it in Drive every time. Last week I was driving fine and went around the corner and all of a sudden it stopped moving and wood grind every time I hit the gas. I assumed this was the transmission, although I've never heard a bad transmission actually grind, but I figured that the rear differential was hooked directly to the transmission and only the front differential was hooked to the transfer case like four wheel drive. I realized upon closer inspection, though, that both the front and rear drive shafts hook directly to the transfer case.

Back