5R55W 02 Explorer 4x4. I've had it for a week, and it now has a flashing O/D light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W 02 Explorer 4x4. I've had it for a week, and it now has a flashing O/D light?

toy720

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp 4x4 5r55w 4.0l
Ok guys been a while since ive posted or even had time to get on the site I just bought a 02 explorer 4x4 got about 106,000 miles on it everything seems fine shifts good etc the only thing I got is the od light blinks really super fast almost like a short in the light On my old explorer the light would just blink like maybe every second or two this is blinking like a strobe light surley this is not a fault except in the light itself. Also can not wait till i get to change the fluid (no dipstick i want to be a ford engineer). As always any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also Could you just take a Tranny dipstick from the 4r or 5r and put it in the
5r55w I havent looked at the case to see?

It's good to see you on the forum again. I was wondering where you were. Did you sell your 95, or trade it for the 02? Did you have the codes read? The 2002 5R55W solenoid block is known for it's codes after 60k miles. Since you have 106k miles, it might be a good time to replace it, but don't blindly replace parts without knowing why you have a code. Check the thread called the 5R55W fluid fill for more information.

Hey Brooklyn thanks for your response I know its been a while I traded it in on the 02 But I really dont think its throwing a code its notthe normal blink,blink,blink, its more like a strobe light flashing thats how fast it isand it does it only after driving a little bit. It doesnt seem to be having any issues as far as shifting etc just annoying light i was actually thinking it might be a short in the light? one reason i think its a short is that when it starts the strobe blinking you can cycle the o/d button off and you can feel it kick out of od but the light still just goes as fast as a strobe light? Anyway any more info or how the heck could you check for a short with out taking the cluster out or can you. Also good to be back ive been real busy I still have been reading from time to time Has Anyone like glacier done a 5r55w,n or s rebuild yet?

O/D Light

Unfortunately, it is more than just a short. Mine does it too. Only after some serious acceleration though. But I can tell that the vehicle starts shifting hard once the light starts to strobe. Shortly after this started, my 4x4 went out. I am not sure if it's the traction control module or not. I see that your post is kinda old, but I hope you get this and might have found out some information about the cause of this strobing o/d light.

I have a 95 and it just started flashing ..can someone help with the problem

od light flashing

i have a code # 647 . I took it to a local ford dealer and had it tested and a 647 code came up? They told me that 3rd gear was gone. they reset the computer and the problem is gone. It was shifting a little hard and the o/d light was flashing now the shifting is smooth and the lights off. The 3rd gear was always working?????????????
What does everyone think????
Jeff

should i try a tranny tune up ( change the filter and fluid) first

How do i make that adjustment? or do i need to take it to a shop.

Back