5r55w 4.6 2wd help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w 4.6 2wd help

Reaction score
City, State
Castlewood,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
03FordExplorer Centennial
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had a pdf file for the 5r55w? Also I am going to put a converter in it does anyone have a alignment tool I could borrow? I posted this in gen specific but this seems more appropriate place. I am setting incorrect ratio codes but no slip is felt. Turbine speed is always below the engine rpm. Converter rattles anyway. But no metal or clutch material in pan or on speed sensors so I think the clutches are good. It's as if the torque converter is not operating the way it should like the converter is slipping. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes those converters are noted for noise. Just curious if you are getting ratio codes for 2nd and 5th gears?

Getting ratio codes for every gear except 5 th with turbine speed sensor plugged in. But haven't drove it on highway much just feeling the trans. Also set a tcc slip greater than expected code when I first got it. But not having the tool puts a damper on changing converter lol. I was going to check the shaft while I was into it. Also hoping to only pull it once and fix it the first time lol

Yes those converters are noted for noise. Just curious if you are getting ratio codes for 2nd and 5th gears?

Got it out and the back part of the od planet carrier is broke off the peice that goes into the sprag. What would cause this? And would I be OK to replace it and go on?

Sure replace the planets as long as it didn't make metal debris. I would change the sprag out while there also check for damage on the race for the sprag in the hub. I have only seen this a few times so not familiar with root causes of failure. Maybe James will post what his experiences are with this type of failure.

Thanks James, just got a bit confusing.

Well thanks again guys after a new od planet carrier and rebuild kit (just for good measure) and shift kit. Like brand new. Just thought I would give an update. No light no slipping positive shifts just like it should

Awesome Great job,glad you got it going. Thanks for the update.

Back