5R55W Filter Replacement/Refill Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Filter Replacement/Refill Question

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I'm replacing the solenoid block in my 04 explorer soon and I'm gathering the parts/tools. I went to Autozone today and they didn't have the transmission refill tool (the 1/8" NPT x 1/4 hose connector piece) and when they looked up the filter, the 5r55w didn't come up, only 5r55s and 5r55e. Napa also didn't have the refill piece.

Does anybody know a good place to get it? I'm not too fond of paying 20-30 dollars at ford so I was hoping I could find it somewhere else for a few bucks (also checked the plumbing dept at lowes). The guy at Autozone said I could just stick the tube through the transmission drain hole and fill it without the tool, any truth to this? Also, which transmission filter do I need? Should I just go to Ford for these two things?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission has a removable PLUG located above the oil pan, on the right-hand side at the rear of the trans. The filling of fluid may be done through this hole.........eliminating the need to "force" the fluid uphill into the trans. through the itty-bitty center hole of the check-level plug. imp

http://eppys.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=2862
OTC6604.jpg

Any plumbing store should have a brass version for a few dollars. Autozone has barbed brass parts behind the counter.

You have a 5R55S transmission not W anyway. The W was only used in early 2002.

So would the solenoid block replacement be the same? I already bought the solenoid block replacement from the sticky thread on it...

Thank you for the link, that website didn't seem to work on my computer, but I could get the picture comparison to show up. It looks like they're the same then, thank you.

Back