• Register Today It's free!

5r55w no drive, reverse & noise

marblenez560

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer xlt
my 05 ex has had some trans issues, long story short I've replace the solenoid pack and it did fine for a week. Today it made a loud clunk when accelerating from a stop, now I have no reverse, drive, or overdrive and its accompanied by a grinding noise. I'm not opposed to pulling it apart but was wondering if anyone had any idea what I'll be facing when I get in there...should a master rebuild kit cover it? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought would be a transfer case, is it a 4x4 and does it have park?

Yes jk, it does have park...been shifting odd for a couple of weeks, now it will go through first, second, and third..no fourth or overdrive or reverse. The noise is more like a metal on metal rubbing than a grind. Thanks for the reply, and hopefully this info helps someone help me, lol. This is my dd, need help bad. Thanks,
Mike

It sounds like there is a big issue with the overdrive section inside the transmission. The only advise I have before removing the transmission is to remove the pan. One to drain it, this will help keep from making a big mess and two to check the pan for metal and debris. This will only conform the failure.

Overdrive failure can happen but its not that common, I have seen just about everything fail that can fail inside that trans and that not the most common. The most common failure is broken bands and worn cases and valve body's. What is your plan once you remove the trans? There are a few areas that should looked at and addressed before they become your next problem.

JK,
Thanks for the reply again. I drained the pan and found, as you suspected, metal pieces..like bbs almost. I've ordered a rebuild manual, I guess the next step is to simply tear in to it. I was hoping a rebuild kit would cover it, but I'm going to wait on parts until I get it out and opened up. Are there failures within the case I should look for? Hopefully I haven't smoked the whole thing, lol. Thanks for your time JK, I really appreciate it. I will know more tomorrow evening.
Mike

Well, I ordered the master rebuild kit today, complete with all steels, plus the servo piston repair kit. I have been studying the ratstangrestoration 5r55w link from this site quite a bit since this started, and one thing that stood out to me is that 4th, od and reverse, the gears that don't work, all utilize the direct clutch, which is not used by 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...the three gears that do work; does it make sense that this would be the issue? Also, the debris in the pan is non magnetic, and I'm pretty sure not aluminum either...hmm. Hope youre still browsing through here JK080, I think I'm on the right path, but any further input on todays findings is always welcome and appreciated. Thanks,
Mike

I agree the direct clutch is applied in 4th - 5th and reverse, so the problem very well could be the clutch. With the clutch material in the pan one would think the clutches are most likely burnt. The only problem I would have of this would be what caused it, its not a common failure. Areas to look at would be the valve body for worn valve train bores, the center support feeds the direct drum, I have seen them crack on the inner bearing race.

Not sure what your master kit will have in it, but I would make sure to replace the basics like all seals and gaskets, clutches and steels, all three bands (intermediate and OD bands break and the reverse one flakes the material off), filter and the EPC solenoid that most likely wont come in the kit

The worn case causes all kinds of shifting issues you said you ordered the servo piston repair kit. Does this kit bore the holes in the case and installs the brass sleeves? This kit can by expensive.

I would also get the Sonnax control valve for the pump
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/2266

Check out the items that Sonnax has for this transmission, you should check all these areas in the valve body for wear. I have used most of these items on this page for this transmission.
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/filter?filter[make]=2&filter[unit]=222

If you replace the converter and the old converter has a round plate attached to it you will need a line up tool to move it to the new converter without issue.

Back