5R55W Noise in neutral and slow to engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Noise in neutral and slow to engage

Dunwood

Reaction score
City, State
South Bay, Los Angeles County
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 EB
I've got a 5R55W transmission mated to a 2wd V-6 2002 Explorer. I think the transmission finally gave up the ghost. Idling in neutral sounds like loose torque converter bolt or bolts although it sounds a bit further back inside the transmission.

The vehicle when stopped is slow to engage in reverse and forward. I rev it up slightly to engage and then it jerks.

Its my wife's vehicle and it just started making this noise tonight about 8 miles ago. She got home OK. Vehicle has 82,000 miles on it. Two transmission fluid/filter changes since 34,000 miles. Solenoid block has never been changed. Its been shifting soft for about 2 or 3 years (soft to me, I drive a mid 80's Mercedes diesel which shifts firm). No flashing dash error codes. Zero transmission fluid leaks.

Haven't had it towed yet.

I've been quoted $3,000 for a complete rebuild including boring the case for the bronze servo inserts. This is from the place everyone recommends. I have also received a budget quote of $2,500 at another recommended place one town over.

I'm in SO CA. Not really interested in the $1,200 cheapy rebuild.

Sound familiar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First and foremost...how's the fluid? Is it the proper level? The humming you're hearing could be a pressure regulator valve chattering because of low fluid. Is the fluid of a good color? Does it smell bad?

Transmission shop test drove the car, read the codes and opened up the pan. Vehicle was taking off in 2nd, pan magnet looked like a "sea urchin" with metallic fillings. Not good. Fluid was medium, seen better, seen worse...not burned though.

Getting it rebuilt. But at least this forum has provided me with the knowledge and lingo to have a reasonable conversation with the shop.

The case will be bored for the servo bronze inserts (thanks Ford, you were too f**Ing cheap to spend $10 more for proper servo walls and the buyer gets burned). A couple of shops try to do this in-house ("ream" the case), I think its wiser to send out the case to a machine shop that has the proper tools to perform this properly. Brand new solenoid block is a given, already spoke to the shop about this, its their S.O.P. to replace the solenoid block with a new factory one. Rebuilt torque converter primarily because once the internals start to let go, the torque converter can't be properly flushed. There will be some other hard parts that need to be replaced. Transgo shift kit will go in. They weren't even going to tell me, its their S.O.P. to install this kits because the factory shifting was originally too soft (might be OK for the soccer moms).

Any other ideas you guys have (upgraded servo's, hi-performance bands, factory bands etc.)?? Thanks for all the input.

Again I want to say thank you, just because I'm not willing to rebuild the transmission myself, doesn't mean this great forum serves no purpose for a casual observer.

Make sure that they flash the PCM, and install a new tune for the transmission. Flush out the cooler lines, and the cooler with a chemical called cooler cleaner. Some shops just use compressed air. The chemical will help loosen whatever is stuck in there. Only use Mercon V fluid. Regular fluid could cause shifting issues. Some shops try to get cheap, and use regular fluid with Lubegard friction modifier additive. You could use the Lubegard in addition to Mercon V if you want. It's OEM approved.

Thanks BB,

I spoke to my rebuilder and they are up to speed on the cooler cleaning, flashing the PCM and using the proper fluild. Its gives me a comfort level knowing they are already following these procedures and I don't need to get involved and tell them how to do their job.

Clarification: What is "install a new tune for the transmission"? I guess this isn't a new George Strait ring tone....:D

Back