5R55W Overheat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Overheat?

atvman29

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Hey guys. Was going to leave on a trip for Utah this last week, and had my 04 4.6L non-towing package Ex loaded up with a 1500lb steel trailer, two 500 lb ATVs, a 200lb dirt bike, 5 people, and luggage for 5 people.

We left my dad's place and started driving down the highway with OD off for towing, no problems, truck was pulling fine. When I started to slow down for a ramp not more than 10 miles from home, I noticed a significant amount of smoke coming from the rear. Pulled over and saw tranny fluid was dripping onto the exhaust.

My first thought was I smoked my transmission as they seem to be a weak point on these vehicles. My second thought was the transmission pump seal my local Goodyear told me was starting to leak had failed much sooner than anticipated (they told me it was a non-issue).

The reason I thought it might be the seal was the truck was still pulling great and shifting normal. When I blew the tranny on my 91 GMC, the shift points were all over and it was jumping in and out of gear.

However, when we got back from our week long trip, there was no fluid on the ground under the truck.... Doesn't seem like a seal now.

Called the local Ford Dealer and they said if it wasn't giving you any signals of failure or it wasn't shifting weird, it was simply overheated and blew fluid out of the piss valve. Just happened to hit the exhaust and cause it to smoke. He says don't do anything, just keep driving. He even said it will push fluid past seals before it fails.

I'm kind of a preventative maintenance kind of guy, and I don't want to let something fester that will give me problems down the road.

Anyone have any recommendations or have insight on what may have happened? Is a tranny cooler for me? The Ford mechanic said it was probably just a little too full or something weird happened that day. Not a fantastic reason in my opinion. I do want to continue pulling with my truck but it will never be more than a 17 foot fishing boat or a couple ATVs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key is whether the transmission fluid heated to the point that it was burned (i.e. no longer pink and has a burnt look). It would be a good idea to at least check the condition of the fluid at your first opportunity. If it is burned then a fluid change and an auxiliary transmission cooler is a good idea. Burnt transmission fluid will eventually cause transmission failure. Especially it you continue to pull a heavy load with burnt fluid in the tranny.

The key is whether the transmission fluid heated to the point that it was burned (i.e. no longer pink and has a burnt look). It would be a good idea to at least check the condition of the fluid at your first opportunity. If it is burned then a fluid change and an auxiliary transmission cooler is a good idea. Burnt transmission fluid will eventually cause transmission failure. Especially it you continue to pull a heavy load with burnt fluid in the tranny.

It had a definite red color still.

Could I patch the leak with some liquid gasket?

on the 5R55W/S transmissions when the ATF heated up will increase in volume. the extra ATF will be spelled out through breathing vent assembly to the top of bellhousing.

it is normal, you just need to calibrate the ATF level and every thing is okay

on the 5R55W/S transmissions when the ATF heated up will increase in volume. the extra ATF will be spelled out through breathing vent assembly to the top of bellhousing.

it is normal, you just need to calibrate the ATF level and every thing is okay

The Goodyear I serviced the vehicle at days before I left said they "topped off" the tranny fluid? Do you suppose they topped it off too much?

Not more than a couple months ago it pulled the big boat to the cabin and back with no issues.

The Goodyear I serviced the vehicle at days before I left said they "topped off" the tranny fluid? Do you suppose they topped it off too much?

Not more than a couple months ago it pulled the big boat to the cabin and back with no issues.

maybe, any how if the ATF level was more than full for any reason, extra ATF will be spelled out to the top of bellhousing

I agree with the Electrician in that it could have been overfilled, leading to fluid leaking out of the overflow vent.

Check the fluid level using the published procedure.

If it's low, add fluid, and you should be good.

If there is excess, let it spill out into the drip pan and you should be good.

A good way to keep an eye on trans fluid temps (and anything else you might want to see) while driving would be to install a small OBD scanner, like a Scanguage II.

this is happened to me before, I just went to the service center and checked the ATF level (after I drove the truck for a while to make sure that transmission reached normal operation temperature), where I found it was over filled. They calibrated the ATF level and problem solved.

just make sure that you don't have an ATF puddle under the truck after parking in for a while, that indicates a transmission leak

It had a definite red color still.

Could I patch the leak with some liquid gasket?

Sounds like you are good to go. IF you tow a lot then check the fluid condition regularly and installing an aftermarket cooler wouldn't hurt as an added precaution. Transmission fluid changes at 30k-40k would be something I would do just to keep any fluid related issues from developing. Especially without an auxiliary trans cooler.

Your 04 already has a large transmission cooler that is separate from the radiator...it's actually sandwiched between the radiator and AC condenser. So again, more than likely your leak is simply fluid venting from an overfilled transmission.

Didn't they only come on the vehicles with the towing package?

mine 3 :)

Check your fluid level but I would guess Goodyear topped it off too much. Really why would they need to top it off anyway? Do you have a leak or something? That would have been a big red flag.

If you were me, what would you do?

Given the cost to replace a 5R55W, I would have the tranny fluid changed asap, and not by a Goodyear/Jiffylube/Firestone place but by a professional that will stand behind their work.

Tranny fluid color is one indicator, but not a totally reliable one.

If you want to keep it running and are going to load it up, I would strongly recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler and filter setup. Way cheaper than a tranny replacement.

Given the cost to replace a 5R55W, I would have the tranny fluid changed asap, and not by a Goodyear/Jiffylube/Firestone place but by a professional that will stand behind their work.

Tranny fluid color is one indicator, but not a totally reliable one.

If you want to keep it running and are going to load it up, I would strongly recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler and filter setup. Way cheaper than a tranny replacement.

I also recommend deep transmission oil pan with a dipstick

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318184

And as long as there is no leak, no O/D flashing, no hesitation, no whining, no gear slippage, no codes, there is indication of transmission problems.

but if you wanna be 100% sure, you can go to any reputed professional transmission center for a check up.

The OEM tranny cooler is pretty large, but it might be possible to connect a second large one (perhaps another OEM one) in series or parallel with the existing one. you could even mount it above the existing one. I am not sure this is entirely necessary though.

the deep pan would be a great upgrade

The OEM tranny cooler is pretty large, but it might be possible to connect a second large one (perhaps another OEM one) in series or parallel with the existing one. you could even mount it above the existing one. I am not sure this is entirely necessary though.

the deep pan would be a great upgrade

Totally agree but instead of Explorer OEM I suggest Expedition's OEM trans-cooler in series, fit's better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the new pan, great job :thumbsup:

Back