5r55w, replaced solenoids, better, but still not right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w, replaced solenoids, better, but still not right

Russ in CT

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
2002 EB 4.0 4x4 ~115K miles. I bought the truck with ~107K miles, and noticed a 2-3 flare. So while I waited to get around to fixing it, I really babied it (also had a rattlin' timing chain, another reason I was babying it).

Finally did the solenoid pack (and the timing chain tensioners), along with a complete fluid change (engine assisted flush), and now that I'm driving more 'briskly', I've noticed some other issues (meanwhile the 2-3 flare is indeed gone). What is happening now (could have been all along, no reason to think these symptoms are new) is that under load (accelerating up hill from a stop, even if its only a slight grade) in low gears (1st & 2nd), it does this 'bumping' action. Its like the tranny is grabbing or something, almost feels like mini-shifts are going on. Its not slipping, no rpm increase or power loss, just a bump in the seat of the pants. It'll do it like 3 or 4 times in each gear (just 1st & 2nd).

Its only noticed under some load (even just a slight grade), and if you really baby it it doesn't occur.

The other 'issue' is the 1-2 shift is delayed when under heavier accel. Not noticed just driving around, but if you are more than say, half-throttle, it tachs up and stays there way longer than it should before it shifts into 2nd. The shift itself seems OK, its just late.

I haven't done a band adjustment yet (gotta pick up an inch-pound torque wrench first), but other than that, what can I do to stave-off the inevitable full tranny rebuild that will eventually be required? (I'll be racking up lots of miles on this rig)

Bump, nobody has any ideas? Glacier, BrooklynBay, Bueller?

band ajustment will get rid of the 1-2 shift proble, I had this problem to friend did the ajustment and went away good luck

It's possible that the servo bores are starting to wear down, and it will cause the band to grab, then engage, and then slip before it releases fully. You might want to take a look at the kit from WWW.Servobore.Com. Flashing the PCM, and installing a new tune after this might help too.

Back