5r55w SELECTIVE THRUST WASHER (FRONT CLEARANCE) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w SELECTIVE THRUST WASHER (FRONT CLEARANCE)

Stick4503

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2004Explorer 4x4
SELECTIVE THRUST WASHER (FRONT CLEARANCE) 5r55w

I was in the need to replace my pump assembly so I ordered a reman one. It arrived today and I found some information about the thrust washer for clearance.

Problem is i have no way of measuring this clearance. The old one looks good and undamaged. I dont know how important this is.

Can I just install the reman pump or am I just going to tear something up?

Please help I need this thing back together yesterday.

Thanks

End clearance is important but I rarely have to change or adjust it with that transmission. I would go ahead and reassemble it and make sure you can turn the input shaft by hand once the pump is bolted down, it will be tight but as long as it will turn you should be good.

Dont forget the two sealing rings for the drum and the one on the end of the pump stator for the converter.

Have the transmission standing up on the output shaft so the drum will be straight and make sure that the drum is all the way down before you install the pump.

Thanks, went together just fine. Input shaft is stiff but I can turn it. Hopefully I can get the transmission in tomorrow. Ended up not getting the explorer up high enough for the transmission to come out or go in on the transmission jack. So I will manhandle it under the truck and then get it on the jack. Fun times.

Thanks so much for you help with my past few post James. And others who posted as well.

Back