5R55W Shifting?

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I recently purchased a 02 and during a recent trip in the Smokies, I experimented with both the tranny and auto 4x4, all while driving my wife crazy.

First is the 5 speed auto tranny. While in the mountains, I turned off OD, occasionally 3 and 2, even 1 while going down steep grades. I somehow seem to have noticed a shift between 3 & 4. With OD off (running in 4th), I could slightly step on gas or begin a grade and notice a shift, then I would manually shift to 3 and it would downshift again. With OD off at about 40 mph it would run at approx 2000 rpm, then shift and run at approx 2500, and when placed in 3 it would run at about 3000 rpm.

Is there some intermediate step between 3 and 4 before lockup?

That feeling is the lockup or unlocking of the torque converter. It changes based on your throttle setting, the gear, and whether you are touching the brake pedal. It probably will lockup in third, as well as fourth and fifth. LOL,
DonW

So your saying it's locked in 4th, then it unlocks in 4th for minor load or acceleration, then it downshifts and locks in 3rd.....

Back