5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

I strongly believe the problems which keep occurring with 3rd gen explorer transmissions are related to the A/C drip line corroding parts of the transmission. I posted something about it to help prevent problems for others and hope I can help more... I bought mine with 165k miles and now have over 185k. I am now starting to experience some occasional slow/rough shifts around 2nd. This was after driving in the river... I need to waterproof some more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I strongly believe the problems which keep occurring with 3rd gen explorer transmissions are related to the A/C drip line corroding parts of the transmission. I posted something about it to help prevent problems for others and hope I can help more... I bought mine with 165k miles and now have over 185k. I am now starting to experience some occasional slow/rough shifts around 2nd. This was after driving in the river... I need to waterproof some more.

That's a really interesting theory. Mine has always shifted rough (late or harsh reverse engagement and late/harsh 2-3 shifts particularly) and I have definitely noticed it always seems to act up more after I drive through heavy rain. Hmm.

was it the servo bore leaking.?

Thought'd I'd chime in here because the information I've found on this site have been invaluable to me.

Yesterday, I replaced pressure control solenoid, filter, and roughly half of the fluid. When it came time for a test drive, I was amazed by how much better it now shifted. Job was fairly easy, albeit pretty messy.

Thanks, forum.

Which solenoid unit did you go with?

Which solenoid unit did you go with?

It was just a Bosch unit I picked up off ebay. The solenoid pack, a new pan gasket, and a trans filter went for $350. Add another 70 or so for fluid, the little brass Nipple thing you use to refill, a couple socket wrench extensions, and a fluid pump and you're still far less than the 850-1K my local shop wanted to do the job.

I went into it expecting the worst (finding metal shavings or loose/broken parts swimming around in the pan), but found none of those. Just some slightly dark fluid really. The removal/replacement of all the parts went very smooth.

So, thanks again for the write ups and information!

Is the EPC solenoid in the ""solenoid pack"" or is it separate? ?

Its within the "solenoid pack"
Thank you..can you recommend any other Sonnax parts thats not "in or covered " by the Transgo shift kit?? Ive done Oring servos and about to do the solenoid pack with TransGo shift kit

www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=SK-5R55W&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=74&parent_id=30&product_id=124&countdisplay=1&start=0&addcountview=Yes

Is this valve in the shift kit or equivalent? ?
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/4225-line-pressure-booster-kit

Also is there a pan difference in the 4x4 and 4x2 models???? Can anyone measure their 4x4 pan??

I have a 2003 aviator 2wd and it appears to be a deep pan

Borland has left the board...Any way to get the pictures from 1st post back up? This is the problem with external posted pics, they all disappear at some point.

My 2005 XLT 4WD 102,000 miles is having tranny problems with no codes or flashing light. I have noticed that when the tranny gets up to operating temperature that upon slowing down one of the gears will downshift hard (bang) right before coming to a complete stop (not all of the time though). Occasionally after stopping with no down shifting bang, it will instead bang hard upon take off from a stop. These bangs have always happened since owning it with 18,000 miles but they were tiny in comparison to now. However, the bangs have gotten much harder this summer since I drive farther now during 100+ degree days. One last issue is on a rare occasion the reverse gear takes a few seconds to engage. Any ideas on the what it could possibly be. Thanks.

5R55W Solenoid Pack Replacement on 2002 Explorer XLT

Here’s the procedure.

Placed all fours on 4”x12” wooden blocks.

5r55w001.jpg

5r55w002.jpg

Disconnect the battery neg terminal

5r55w007.jpg

Draining ATF with 22mm wrench. Only about 4 qts drained.

Is the original post with pics still available? Pics from original post aren't showing up

Is the original post with pics still available? Pics from original post aren't showing up

Unfortunately I think your request will fall on deaf ears. I think a lot of smart folks have gotten rid of these vehicles and moved on. We may be the only ones left.

Unfortunately I think your request will fall on deaf ears. I think a lot of smart folks have gotten rid of these vehicles and moved on. We may be the only ones left.

Thanks!

Back