5R55W Solenoid Pack ? re Torque Conv. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Solenoid Pack ? re Torque Conv.

buzman78

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD
Hello all, I still have no answer regarding the hard downshift question re my 02 Mountaineer. One suggestion I received was to change the fluid and replace the solenoid pack.

Don't really want to buy a new solenoid pack at close to $300 unless I'm pretty sure it will fix the problem. This leads me to my question:

Does the solenoid pack control lock-up of the torque converter? If not what does? I am thinking lock-up may be the hard jolt on downshift as in my link below.

Thanks in advance.

Link to the description of my problem in stock 3rd Gen-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=257541

It does lock the converter and it happens around 45 mph you should only see a drop in rpms. If you let off gas or apply brake it should unlock

Hello all, I still have no answer regarding the hard downshift question re my 02 Mountaineer. One suggestion I received was to change the fluid and replace the solenoid pack.

Don't really want to buy a new solenoid pack at close to $300 unless I'm pretty sure it will fix the problem. This leads me to my question:

Does the solenoid pack control lock-up of the torque converter? If not what does? I am thinking lock-up may be the hard jolt on downshift as in my link below.

Thanks in advance.

Link to the description of my problem in stock 3rd Gen-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=257541
Upon lock-up, assuming normal conditions, the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) engages, or locks, very gently, sometimes unknown to the occupants of the vehicle. Upon throttle demand, like starting to climb a hill or acceleration called for, the TCC disengages, or unlocks, with a surge felt in the vehicle as the engine speeds up. It feels much like a downshift. Watching the tachometer while using the gas pedal can reveal whether the TCC is functioning properly, or at all.

Back