5r55w tear down. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w tear down.

skid809

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, MI
So after careful consideration i have decided to tear down the 5r55w in my 02 Explorer.

Here are symptoms before i parked it:

July it had started the dreaded OD blink and wouldnt shift to OD. Replaced solenoid pack and didnt help. Next step was to replace the servos with kit from eBay guy (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-Mercury-Ex...419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f0d29e93) This actually worked. I believe trans was already past its stage of repair. Dropped pan to find lots of "mud" just a few weeks ago. .

I picked up a wrecked earlier build 2002 with a supposed "new" trans. It lasted about a week before it puked. Sore subject.

Now here i am. I am going to tear this puppy down and replace with master kit. Have a trans guy to bore servo's correctly and will clean the casing.

What should i look out for? Any distinct wear patterns or known hard part issues? Now i was stupid and tossed the original servos from the late build 2002 in favor of the eBay upgrade. Will the early build servos work in my late build? I hate to buy new ones. Now i know why my old man said dont throw anything away. I do have a "parts" trans. So if i needed something i could rob it off the other.

Back