• Register Today It's free!

5r55w to 5r55s swap

georgiabuck

Reaction score
City, State
GRIFFIN, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
With the problems(long delay before engaging into reverse followed by a hard slamming into that reverse gear + 2nd to 3rd flares) I've been having on my 2003 2wd explorer's transmission. I'm thinking of finding a low milage used transmission to swap out. my question is: can I swap a 2004 5R55S in place of my 5R55W without any problems? And if so, what about 2005-06 explorers transmissions, what are they and can those be used? I want to find a low milage transmission so that's why I'm asking about 04-06.

Thanks guys, Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got to be kidding me. No one has an opinion on this? There's to many smart guys here for there to be nothing said. What would you guys do? Rebuild or swap out? Any write ups on the 5R55W problems that I'm having? I haven't come across any. From what I gather, the difference in the "W" and "S" is the gearing? If that's true then I think it should work. Would I have to change the speedo gear for the speedometer because of that gearing change? Does that mean there's better gas milage in the "S" than the "W" or is it worse? Please help me on this. I need direction. Thanks Andrew.

Where the "GodFathers" of this site? Calling for BrooklynBay and Glacier991. jah81592, you should know alittle about this topic? Please help me and the others with the same problem. Thanks, Andrew.

Give it some time, I believe one of the members here did a swap, but he went from a 5R55E to one of the ones you mentioned. That was James Henson that did it. It is the weekend, the weather is turning nice. Just bump the post every day and I'm sure one of these guys will chime in soon. Best of luck.

Gee... patience is a virtue is dead? I am going to guess Georgiabuck is under 21 ... why is it people (especially very young ones) come to a free website where they have spent little time at all, and then expect free advice on immediate demand and are unhappy when they don't get it? End of rant.

Okay....The W, S and even N are swappable physically as best I know. The W and S are very close cousins design-wise, the N has some different guts in a couple places.

Your gear ratios will differ between the W and the S (obviously). What I cannot tell you is whether the computer will be looking for (pre-programmed) input numbers that match the gear ratios for the tranny coming out. I'm thinking it will... eg. looking for a specified shaft speed in a certain gear. I think you will have computer problems and that might result is FMEM kicking in. Could you swap out the puter? Maybe, but what else is model specific in it for your year, make, model and design? Short answer, I'd rebuild what I have.

Sorry I am not more help, I'm just not able to sign on every day anymore.

I would think it would be easier just to fix yours. New solenoid, re-flash, ajust the bands and maybe a valve body.

Sorry Glacier(and everyone else). I just had knee surgery Thursday and it seems like everything's running much slower for me. Way to much time on my hands. Sorry. I do apprciate the advice and your time. Tower, you mention that adjusting the bands might help along with a new solenoid. What's "re-flash"? And is this link by BrooklynBay with the help of Glacier991 on adjusting the bands for an A4LD a guide I can use for the 5R55W?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158160

Is there any link for a solenoid change?

Thanks guys,

immature 31 year old try to do something other than sitting watching tv
(Andrew)

The valve body, solenoids, and bands(plus PCM programming) account for most common trans issues. That is why many of us learn it and set about upgrading or improving them. The fact that those are all owner serviceable is great.

You can with decent mechanical abilities, install a VB kit, new solenoids(there are five in the 5R's), and adjust the bands. I'd suggest looking thoroughly through the couple of main threads about the 5R55E and W models. Learn what odds and ends can use help, then start collecting parts. Regards,

Back