• Register Today It's free!

5R55W TORQUE CONVERTER

Boy447374

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm putting in a used transmission on my 2002 explorer 4x4. When I put the torque converter on the transmission shafts, the torque converter is sliding back so far as it rubs on the back of the bell housing. Of course when I bolt the torque converter back up to the flexplate it will pull the torque converter off the back of the bell housing... but is this normal for the torque converter to slide on that far? My old transmission (the one i'm replacing) does the same thing. There is about an inch sticking out on the inner shaft.

Yes that's normal for that converter to hit the pump when pushed all the way in.

I'm putting in a used transmission on my 2002 explorer 4x4. When I put the torque converter on the transmission shafts, the torque converter is sliding back so far as it rubs on the back of the bell housing. Of course when I bolt the torque converter back up to the flexplate it will pull the torque converter off the back of the bell housing... but is this normal for the torque converter to slide on that far? My old transmission (the one i'm replacing) does the same thing. There is about an inch sticking out on the inner shaft.
@Boy447374

Just be damned certain that when bolting up, the torque converter is properly shoved back into the pump. If it has hung up (difficult to feel), the assembly will not properly bolt up to the engine. This is the MOST LIKELY fail happening when putting a trans back in place. It can break the pump housing, if bolts tightened.

The converter has a nasty habit of sliding forward when the assembly is being mated back to the engine. if it disengages from the pump then, the trans will not bolt back up to the engine properly. Tightening the bolts then will break the pump body.

Be forwarned. imp

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Back