5r55w tranny not going into low or reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w tranny not going into low or reverse

lief

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford
Hi All, new to the site ....

Symtoms: When I put it into 1st or reverse, trans does not engage.
If I increase the RPMs to 1000 shifting works

Please help if you know this issue!

Neighbors SUV issue:
2002 explorer XLS 4.0L 4door 2WD
automatic 5r55w, part number 1L2p 7000 AE
Installed valve body: no help, symptoms didn't change
all stock with 110,000 miles
Changed trans oil: No help, symptoms same

I have seen the A4LD trans has a FAQ that seems to address this/similar issue
The FAQ states the following:

What is the issue and can it be fixed the same way at the A4LD?

A4LD COMMON PROBLEMS

Q1. I have a delayed engagement into reverse (sometimes also into drive). Why is this and how can I fix it?

A. In the A4LD the reverse band is used to engage both reverse and 1st gear. The servo that engages it has a seal prone to leakage, and it also has a rather large volume that needs to be filled and pressurized.
More often that not this is the culprit. Sometimes a leaky seal, sometimes a slow fill because of VB issues. About 50% of the people will find a fix in replacing the seals on the low/reverse servo with either a "double lip" upgrade, or a "D ring" seal kit. Both are cheap (under $5) but you have to drop the pan and valve body to get to it.
Good news? If you can live with it, it isn't doing any harm, just be patient before you goose it.

Are you saying that you have no engagement in reverse or drive unless you raise the RPM's to 1k? After it engages it works fine when you drive it through all the gears?

These things are known for bad solenoid blocks, they can cause problems like this.

Yes, you are exactly right.

The valve body with all the new solenoids that are connected to it was replaced. Also I replaced it after a soak in Transmission fluid so I did it step by step correctly.

Nothing has changed after the new valve body + solenoids and fluid change.

t is a 2002 so not worth so much, a new tranny at ford was 2700+ or if I go to VA, 2300+. But I was thinking a simple part, this SUV was driven easy by the owner's wife.

The 5R55W has a solenoid block that is separate from the valve body, the 5R55E has the solenoids mounted on the valve body, so that changes things.

It sounds like a low pressure situation still but the problem may be with the pump, a pressure gauge would help identify a issue like this.

Back