• Register Today It's free!

5r55w Transmission Won't Shift

Rijalo

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi so I'm having some trouble figuring out my transmission in my 02 4.0L XLT. It drove fine, I got home and parked it and the next morning i went to drive it and it wouldn't shift into reverse or 3rd. I got inside of the transmission and found that the filter was totally black and the fluid was real dark and burned out. I tested the solenoid pack and everything was within range besides the temperature solenoid. I had the multimeter on the 200 range for everything besides the temp solenoid at which point I switched the meter to 200k. I've read that it should read from 16k to 37k ohms but the reading was 48-51 ohms. I may not be reading the meter correctly but whether it really was 48-51 ohms or 48k-51k ohms either reading is out of range. I'm wondering if just the temp solenoid could cause this or if the faulty solenoid may have overheated the transmission destroying some mechanical component, which may also explain the burned out fluid and black filter? I should also mention that I've checked for trouble codes and there aren't any. No overdrive light flashing, it just seems like it's trying to go into gear but it can't. Does anyone know of a test i could try on the solenoid pack on a mechanical level? I'm totally stumped as to how something like this happens overnight with no warning signs or previous problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum.

No good answers here, other than I believe reverse is tied to 4th, so it's odd that you have an issue with 3rd.

The solenoid can impact reverse and the servo bore issue will impact third. I do not have personal knowledge to back up my statements.

Isn't burned fluid usually from the clutch pack?
[MENTION=210410]JK080[/MENTION] should be of more assistance, best to post trans questions in the trans sub thread. My mentioning of JK080 should bring him to your question.

Hi so I'm having some trouble figuring out my transmission in my 02 4.0L XLT. It drove fine, I got home and parked it and the next morning i went to drive it and it wouldn't shift into reverse or 3rd. I got inside of the transmission and found that the filter was totally black and the fluid was real dark and burned out. I tested the solenoid pack and everything was within range besides the temperature solenoid. I had the multimeter on the 200 range for everything besides the temp solenoid at which point I switched the meter to 200k. I've read that it should read from 16k to 37k ohms but the reading was 48-51 ohms. I may not be reading the meter correctly but whether it really was 48-51 ohms or 48k-51k ohms either reading is out of range. I'm wondering if just the temp solenoid could cause this or if the faulty solenoid may have overheated the transmission destroying some mechanical component, which may also explain the burned out fluid and black filter? I should also mention that I've checked for trouble codes and there aren't any. No overdrive light flashing, it just seems like it's trying to go into gear but it can't. Does anyone know of a test i could try on the solenoid pack on a mechanical level? I'm totally stumped as to how something like this happens overnight with no warning signs or previous problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Just the simple fact that it doesn't have reverse is a indication that there is a internal failure involving the low band or the direct drum. With having burnt fluid and debris in the pan I would think its the direct clutches that has failed.

This wont be a solenoid or a electrical problem, this transmission should engage in a forward gear and reverse even if its unplugged.

Most of my customers mention the fact that the vehicle was working find the day before and now the transmission broken.:roll:

Back