5r55w VS 5r55s

eddiebau03

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Springs New York USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer EB AWD
hello ,

i have a 2003 Eddie Bauer AWD 4.0 and i need a pressure control solenoid block im gonna get one from a junkyard because i don't have $355 to spend right now and i gotta get back and forth to work ....

now the junkyard has alot of explorers ranging from years 2002-2004 no AWD's tho

question #1 How do i find out which transmission is in my explorer ?? (i do not have original owners manual )

Question #2. what solenoid blocks are compatible and what year and explorer should i try to find one out of they have a bunch of regular 03's ???

Question #3. does it matter if i get a block out of a explorer sport / explorer / explorer limited / etc ...

You can tell what tranny you have by the code on the drivers door it most likely says V meaning you have a 5R55S but to be honest it does not matter as the part you are looking for is the same for both the s and w.

Any one out of a 4 door explorer should work but you are taking a chance that it is a good one. Before you put it in test it and clean it.

Good luck

thanks very much tower !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is highly inadvisable to get a transmission solenoid block from a junkyard. They are "delicate" and you never know how early one might die out, especially without any history on the vehicle it was in. You can get a new one from Tasca or similar Ford dealers for just about $300 delivered. Otherwise you can keep an eye on eBay, as new ones do pop up on there from time to time.

Going with a used solenoid block, especially from a junkyard, is a gamble that will probably have you replacing it again soon anyway.

Back