5th Gen Aftermarket Recovery Hook? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Aftermarket Recovery Hook?

SublimeShooter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
I recently purchased a 14 Sport and there's a more than reasonable chance it'll find it's way off road (hunting and outdoor sports/camping) and inevitably in need of recovery. In anticipation of that, I've started looking for tow hooks but cant seem to find any with exception being the Factory hook. Which will look retarded if left in place, however I do want something permanently mounted.

Are there any known aftermarket options for the 5th gen?

Even something like this where the D ring folds down would look way better than the factory eye. But I cant find these for the Explorer and would want it made from steel instead of aluminum anyway.
871342_x600.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really just have to find out the thread pitch and diameter and look for other vehicles I'm in the same boat I want. A front plate holder that goes where the tow hook mounts but they don't sell it for 5th gen explorer. I'm going to try my friends Mazdaspeed 3 hook this weekend and see if it fits if so at least you can find mounts and hooks for those

Take your tow hook that you have now down to a fabrication/welding shop and draw them a picture of what you want and they should be able to build just what you want. It may cost a little but they can do it.

On the aluminum one, it just might be stronger than you think.

Take your tow hook that you have now down to a fabrication/welding shop and draw them a picture of what you want and they should be able to build just what you want. It may cost a little but they can do it.

On the aluminum one, it just might be stronger than you think.
Fabricating my own or paying someone to is looking like my only option. I'm just surprised there isn't something already out there. It's hard to believe I'm the only one who wants a constant recovery point that doesn't look gaudy.

I recently purchased a 14 Sport and there's a more than reasonable chance it'll find it's way off road (hunting and outdoor sports/camping) and inevitably in need of recovery. In anticipation of that, I've started looking for tow hooks but cant seem to find any with exception being the Factory hook. Which will look retarded if left in place, however I do want something permanently mounted.

Are there any known aftermarket options for the 5th gen?

Even something like this where the D ring folds down would look way better than the factory eye. But I cant find these for the Explorer and would want it made from steel instead of aluminum anyway.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think there is anyone here who has decided to leave their tow hook in place. In fact, I'm guessing that likely 99% of members have never used theirs and some may not even know they have one.:D

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't think there is anyone here who has decided to leave their tow hook in place. In fact, I'm guessing that likely 99% of members have never used theirs and some may not even know they have one.:D

Peter

That is likely a very accurate statement. Thank you for the kind welcome, seems like a nice place.

Back