• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Coolant Flush and Fill

ERUSH97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT, 03 XLT, 13 XLT
I'm nearing the 100k recommended coolant flush and fill milestone for my '13 and am reaching out for some flush and fill tips from 5th gen DIYers and Techs. I've searched around the forum and can't seem to locate a discussion on this if there is one.

IIRC the FSM flush and fill procedure requires the radiator to be removed, which (I think) requires the front end fascia to be removed. Don't quote me on this - I haven't studied FSM in great detail yet! Seems extraordinary to remove the radiator for a proper flush.

Does the radiator REALLY need to be removed for a good flush and fill? Can anyone share any tips? I've done this a few times on both my 2nd gens, 3rd gen, and my Ranger, each of which have the radiator petcock and upper heater hoses that I can use the T flush coupling. I've always used Motorcraft coolant with distilled water as well as the VC-1 flush, so I plan on doing the same on my '13.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations for filling using the vacuum tool?

Thanks

I'm nearing the 100k recommended coolant flush and fill milestone for my '13 and am reaching out for some flush and fill tips from 5th gen DIYers and Techs. I've searched around the forum and can't seem to locate a discussion on this if there is one.

IIRC the FSM flush and fill procedure requires the radiator to be removed, which (I think) requires the front end fascia to be removed. Don't quote me on this - I haven't studied FSM in great detail yet! Seems extraordinary to remove the radiator for a proper flush.

Does the radiator REALLY need to be removed for a good flush and fill? Can anyone share any tips? I've done this a few times on both my 2nd gens, 3rd gen, and my Ranger, each of which have the radiator petcock and upper heater hoses that I can use the T flush coupling. I've always used Motorcraft coolant with distilled water as well as the VC-1 flush, so I plan on doing the same on my '13.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations for filling using the vacuum tool?

Thanks

Watch this video:
Brian also has a quick video on the air lift tool to use.
Good luck

Back