• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Wheels

Nickp_

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have been considering possibly picking up a set of 5th gen chrome wheels, I think they're 20 inches. The bolt pattern and offset range are good, but it's there enough clearance for the wheel and tire? Has anybody done this swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been considering possibly picking up a set of 5th gen chrome wheels, I think they're 20 inches. The bolt pattern and offset range are good, but it's there enough clearance for the wheel and tire? Has anybody done this swap?

Your first issue will be the center bore (hub) diameter. 5th gen is 63.3mm, 3rd gen is 70.6mm.

I was curious about them also, I love the hollow 5 spoke wheels. Only down side is I want all terrains, and there aren't any a/t's that would fit for the size I can run.

I've seen them on 3rd gens. Unless the late model 4th gen had something similar.

http://autotk.com/wheels/ford/explorer/

2011 EX.JPG
2002 EX.JPG

After further review, I see an option in 2010 (Mountainers?) that looks like ones off the Gen 5's.

Number 4, you are correct that there was a late 4th gen option of 20" wheels. These were on the 08-10 Sport Trac Adrenaline and limited availability on late 4th gen 4-doors. They are actually highly polished and clear-coated aluminum. They are not chrome-plated or chrome-clad. They often suffer from corrosion under the clear coat and need refinishing, especially in northern regions. I have a set in my garage that I will be putting on this summer. Now these ones will bolt on to 3rd gens with no issues.

1996 EB I just looked back at this thread, my intent was to mark your post as useful. I fixed it and I am sorry about that.

1996 EB I just looked back at this thread, my intent was to mark your post as useful. I fixed it so chill out mommy.

Great! I don't post a lot of stuff, but when I do I make sure it's right. As you know, hub bore is critical on these vehicles...

Yes sir, I liked the technical information you posted, I tried to press "useful", but on my phone the buttons are smaller than a pin head. Sorry for my mistake. Best wishes,
Doc

These are the ones I want:

IMG_2325.jpg

Which resemble the 5th gens:

IMG_2326.jpg

5th gens are built on the Taurus chassis aren't they? That would explain the smaller hub bore.

Yes sir, I liked the technical information you posted, I tried to press "useful", but on my phone the buttons are smaller than a pin head. Sorry for my mistake. Best wishes,
Doc

Not a problem. Cell phones still have a habit of not doing what we want them to do. Given that fitment is the same for 2002- 2010 Explorers + 07-10 Sport Tracs, there are a wide range of factory Explorer rims that will bolt on with absolutely no issues!

These are the ones I want:

View attachment 95289

Which resemble the 5th gens:

View attachment 95290

5th gens are built on the Taurus chassis aren't they? That would explain the smaller hub bore.

Yes, those are the ones I figured you were talking about. highly polished aluminum with clear coat- no actual chrome. They do resemble the 5th gen ones. Yes, the 5th gen Explorer is built on a shared platform with the Taurus (and others), that is also the same platform as the old Freestyle/Taurus X. This was in fact originally a Volvo car platform- believe it was the S90. Here is a pic of one of my 20" 4th gen rims, alongside an 18" chrome-clad 4th gen and a 17" chrome-clad 3rd gen. The 20" has already been refinished in a Hyper Silver metallic color, that's why it looks somewhat different from your pic. The 20 inchers will be going on my vehicle in the summer. Currently I have 18" 08 Sport Trac (refinished) rims on it- the ones in the 2nd pic.
IMG_8106.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG

Had another thread going with same question. I was supposed to drive a hour this past weekend to pick up wheels and tires off 2016 explorer for my 2002 mountaineer but couldn't go since I'm not sure they will fit. Even reading all posts here still not sure that they will fit.

Had another thread going with same question. I was supposed to drive a hour this past weekend to pick up wheels and tires off 2016 explorer for my 2002 mountaineer but couldn't go since I'm not sure they will fit. Even reading all posts here still not sure that they will fit.
2011+ will not fit. The center bore for the hub is too small.

Won't fit. Have a look at the screen captures that I posted above. In 2011, the Explorer switched to a unibody platform, essentially a car-based platform and switched to smaller hubs. 2011+ rims will not fit over the hubs on our vehicles. You are better off looking at 4th gen Explorer rims 06-10, if you want to go to an 18 or 20" rim. I've actually shown photos of 4th gen rims in my post above. I personally own sets of all the wheels in my pics and they are a nice upgrade over 3rd gen rims. I don't particularly recommend the 3rd gen/early 4th gen 17" chrome Limited rim due to issues with the chrome- that's the rim on the far right in my above pic.

Can't the hub bore be enlarged or just run a spacer?

Back