5w-30 or 10 w 40? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5w-30 or 10 w 40?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 220,000 been using 10w40 but another poster here recommends 5w30?

which one for my vehicle>?

5w30, trust me all 10w40 is going to do is wear out your oil pump faster

Lets see.. poster recomends or Ford Engineer recomends.. Not sure who I'd trust on that one..

My thoughts exactly

It all depends on your likes and needs. I personally like the 5w20 synthetic. Manufacturer recommendations are good, but also consider the recommendation for my tires are 235/70/15 Firestone highway tires and I run 30 AT's..

It all depends on your likes and needs. I personally like the 5w20 synthetic. Manufacturer recommendations are good, but also consider the recommendation for my tires are 235/70/15 Firestone highway tires and I run 30 AT's..

Tire recommendations trivial compared to the recomendations of a motor oil. Yes 5w-20 is ok to run in your 5.0 but, not in his 93.

Here is Fords Service Bulletin on what vehicles should use 5w-20
http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/tsb/0219.pdf

5-30 in the winter and 10-30 in the summer for mine .

Considering that Ford recommends you only use ford parts etc, you can take everything with a grain of salt. Some people may use different oil in their rides for different reasons.

IF it's a stock truck, use whatever is "stock" for it. If you've managed to do any mods to it, then you might want to consider changing the type of oil used in it.

Only thing I can suggest is that if you do go with "stock" oil, then you may want to go with the "high-mileage" stuff :)

The only difference between 5-30 and 10-30 is the starting viscosity. The lower number is the number the oil is when the engine is started. So during the summer you can run 10 if it's cheaper. In the winter I'd run 5 if you're up in the snow states.

5W-30 is the correct viscosity to use.

You can sometimes use 10W-30 in hot climates.

10W-40 is pretty thick and will reduce the efficiency of the engine and give lower mileage, among other things. It might be ok for desert running or if you live somewhere that has 100 degree temps everyday.

Otherwise, 5W-30 is the best choice for general use.

Here's what I use year round...

My motor has 292,000 on it.

MotorOil-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure I run 5W 30 .. I know its what I run in Ranger and I'm think I converted the sploder to the same , last change.... Its wrote down

I just bought a jug of Motorcraft 5W-20 at WallyWorld tonight for $11.00 and a fresh FL-1A for Snowball... I've only used Valvoline MaxLife on my cars for the last 8 years or so. I hope I'm not making a mistake! :D

I run 10W30 Quaker State in my wifes Green Explorer 4.0L OHV. That's what my father in law told her to run in the Explorer. And we ALL KNOW, father-in-laws are never wrong! I have no issues with the oil, and Quaker State 10W30 is what he ran in the Explorer since it was new, and in HIS driveway.

I will be running 5W30 Mobil1 Synthetic in my 5.0L...it's the weight that Ford recommends. That's enough for me.

Ryan

I dont see 10w40 killing the gas mileage of a 220,000 mile motor all that bad.

I dont see 10w40 killing the gas mileage of a 220,000 mile motor all that bad.

10w40 will kill your gas mileage and your oil pump

Maybe on a fresh motor, but the tolerances on a 220k motor are loose enough for 10w40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if bearing tolerances are loose enough to accept a more viscous oil then you should be rebuilding your motor

Back