5w20 oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5w20 oil

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Has anyone used 5w20 or 0w20 synthetic oil in his or her truck?

I am wondering what effect the change will have on fuel mileage.

Comments….

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my never ending quest for better mileage, I am considering the swap to Amsoil 5w20.

Dead Link Removed

what do all the numbers stand for? i know for my x 5w30 is recommended.. what happens when u use something other than that? any adverse affects?

Originally posted by jssong
what do all the numbers stand for? i know for my x 5w30 is recommended.. what happens when u use something other than that? any adverse affects?

I have been using Amsoil 0w30 for quite some time; only effect is improved gas mileage.

0W30 vs 5W20

Wouldn't Mobil 1 0W30 be better for engine longevity?
The 0 would allow the oil to circulate faster upon startups and that is where 99% of the wear is.

Amsoil doesn't have a 0w20 ( yet ). I will run it as soon as its available.

the diff type of oil you use normally sticks to driving conditions. 0w10 or something like that would be ideal for very cold climate, since the w is 0, it will be able to get into the engine parts in very cold conditions. i use 10w30 in mine, but of course its winter here in cali and its 80 degrees :) but the colder you get the smaller the numbers. at least, thats what i think i learned in my auto class

Back