• Register Today It's free!

5w30 Royal Purple or 5w20?

Rase

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer Sport
I've got a chance to grab some 5w20 Royal Purple oil. the owners manual says to use 5w30 weight oil. I hear all these statements about ford "back-specing" their oils to a 5w20 weight.

So was wondering if I should grab the 5w20 weight deal OR should I look for 5w30 weight oil instead?
This is for a '95 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The newer engines do use 5w-20, and you'd probably be ok using it in your vehicle

-Drew

Use 5w-30. Both 4.0's are one of the few engines that Ford specifically does not recommend or back-recommend 5w-20 for.

Another thing to consider is what temp range are you looking operate in. I see that you are in South Dakota, so you might be able to get by with that in the spring, but you might want to switch weights in the summer (not sure what your temps are in the summer....)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've decided to go with 5w-30.Will have an oil analysis performed later to see just how well it's working ;)

That said, I've read people using all kinds of weights in their explorers...

Aldive, for instance, uses 0w-30 or something like that.

I use the same 0/30 in my V8.

Older oils before say 1985 needed to be matched to the owners manual. Todays oils are all far superior to old recommendations. Use the best oil for your budget and mileage, the weight isn't terribly important for avoiding catastrophy like it used to be. Only if you see temps below say -40 degrees should you require a zero weght oil, and only if seeing over say 110 degrees should you require as much as a 40 weight oil. Today's synthetic oils are good enough to survive and protect almost any engine.

It's no big deal.

Back