5x7 / 6x8 comps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5x7 / 6x8 comps

mtxexplorer

Reaction score
Hi everyone... i have a question for all you car sterio nuts like me out there. Do any of you have 5 x7 components? if you have 6& 1/2 speakers, what modifications had to be made. i have a 91 EB, so it has those weird plastic extender thingies that the speakers attach to. can i salvage these with 6 & 1/2 speakers?
thanks
Tim Golnik
91 Eddie Bauer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definatly save those things. Use particle board and cut a piece in the shape of the 5x7 and then cut a hole for the 6.5. Screw the wood to the bracket and you're good to go. They just fit back in. I might get around to taking pics soon because I've done a ton of custom stuff to my stereo.

what 6 1/2 speakers do you recomend, how much were they, and where did you get them? I have my eye on Some infinity Kappa's for 300 bucks. they hand 120 RMS, which is much higher than other given speakers (and it shows in price)
But i noticed that there are 6 1/2s speakers that are 100 bucks cheaper. (it says "suplies limited")
do the 6 1/2 S speakers fit? how thick was the fiberboard you put in?

[This message has been edited by mtxexplorer (edited 11-02-1999).]

I've got Orion Xtremes, I paid 150 for them but they were on sale..now they are 175. The Kappas you were talking about in tms are 230. For around the 200 range, the Orions and Boston Acoustics are the best out there. I've got both in mine and they're incredible. The kappas are nice, but unless you're going to run a powerful amp to them, don't waste your money. If you do want to spend around 300, get Boston Acoustic Pros.
I used 1/2 particle board. You may be able to get away with 1/4 depending how big the magnet is.

If you are willing to go to $300 anyway, go to a good sound shop and listen to a set of MB Quarts. They are by far the best sounding components I've ever heard. The next best set I've listened to would be the Dynaudio stuff, but I haven't heard the 3 way systems yet. I've heard they are incredible, but for over a $1000 they ought to be! www.autotoys.com has MB Quarts on sale occasionally for around $200, but if you have never installed component speakers you should have it done. Proper placement and angle make as much difference as speaker quality. Just my .02

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

You might want to listen to cerwin vega stealths, as well. I have those 6x8's in mine. My dad has Boston Pro 5" component speakers in his, but the Vega's stay much clearer when turned up. My dad has an Alpine V12, and I have a pioneer 240.4, so we both run about 60w rms. I don't know if the difference in amps has anything to do with it

They make premoulded ABS plastic cover that allow you to put 5.25 or 6.5 in speakers in those funny shaped holes. Ask a good stereo store or you can cut your own out of standard ABS plastic like the door panels are made of. It might cost you twenty bucks but they are totaly air tight and what most installers i know would suggest

Back