• Register Today It's free!

6.5" or 6"x9" Speakers?

James909

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
This question is not related to the Explorer, it's actually for a Yukon but it's more of a general audio question. I have heard differing opinions regarding speaker shape and size. I have heard that round speakers are clearer, but oval ones are typically louder. I have also heard that with a quality 6x9 you won't be able to tell the difference. I am replacing the speakers in the back of my Yukon and with a custom speaker pod that I am buying I can fit either 6x9s or 6.5" speakers. So I was wondering what size would you guys recommend I use? More specifically should I use the Boston Acoustics SC65 or SC95? The speakers will be running off of the head unit but I may get an amp in the future. And I already have subs if that matters at all.

Also I plan on installing an Alpine IDA-X305 or maybe the CDA-105, any input on either of these head units? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally would go with the 6-1/2" round. 6"x9" are to 80's for me. When someone talks about 6"x9" The first thing I think about is a redneck with 6"x9" in the back of a Camaro.

My CDA-105 is supposed to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I'll let you know how I like it. I was also considering the IDA-X303/305, but I ended up getting the CDA-105 for the ability to play CDs. I personally don't use them that much, but alot of times will want to listen to one a friend has when riding around.

If you're looking for more bass output deffinatly the 6x9's, i also think that they are louder that the 6.5's. Quality isn't much different it depends on the brand.

Since you say you've already got subs, I'd go with 6.5". I've got 4 way 6.5"s in the doors of my civic and 4 way 6x9's in the back deck, all driven off the head unit. Also have a 12" sub on 1000W mono in the trunk. I had to put base blockers on the 6x9's to get the sound I wanted.

Ever notice what shape every home speaker is? ;-)

round speakers are more efficent than the oval, and in the throw of making sound the round shape is far more balanced than the oval,,

good experiment, drop a stone in a puddle, them ripples resemble a sound wave,, it goes out evenly till it hits the outside edge of the puddle,, same as sound travels,,
now, wanna see what multiple speakers do, drop 3 or 4 in at the same time,, watch the ripples,,

now drop in an elongated object, and see what that does,, that would resemble the sound wave from an oval speaker,,

round speakers are more efficent than the oval, and in the throw of making sound the round shape is far more balanced than the oval,,

good experiment, drop a stone in a puddle, them ripples resemble a sound wave,, it goes out evenly till it hits the outside edge of the puddle,, same as sound travels,,
now, wanna see what multiple speakers do, drop 3 or 4 in at the same time,, watch the ripples,,

now drop in an elongated object, and see what that does,, that would resemble the sound wave from an oval speaker,,

your comparison does not relate to sound and the travel of sound.

sound waves are longitudinal as in differences in pressure...they do not travel in the way water makes waves.

I would go with some high quality 6x9s over 6.5s. Why? My reason is not because of the bass...i do not care about that...that is what subwoofers are for.

6x9 vs a 6.5 the cone area difference is pretty large. I would choose the 6x9 for better efficiency and more sound per watt...mid bass would be better too.

But if I could afford a quality 200+ dollar set of components I would and have two 6.5s per side for better midbass.

But a set of 6x9s installed in a properly damped panel will perform exceedingly well.

sorry but i do not agree, sound wave, water wave, or radio wave , or microwave,even a blast wave, all travel out from the source the same way,,in waves,, like pulses,, kind of why they are all called waves,,
think about it,
and sound waves and water waves are both pressure differences,, just simple physics,,

While 6x9's may perform exceedingly well, round speakers in the same properly dampened location will perform better.

just as with a woofer....your speakers will only perform as well as their install.

with a woofer you need a nice proper box built. Same goes for your mids. You need something that resembles an enclosure for them...which in this case is the door itself. But you want to stiffen it up with as much deadener as you can throw in there aswell as seal up all the access holes.

I'll post a how-to thread within the next couple weeks once I pickup my new explorer of how to install killer front stage without any weak links.

Deaden the hell out of the door, seal the holes, then preferrably run a round speaker. But if you must run an oval speaker atleast itll sound much better than it would have when you didnt have your door acting as a pseudo enclosure for them.

also......if ur serious about your sound...you want to run a component set.. which is the 6.5 mid with an external tweeter and come with their own small crossover for each side. Then run a small amp to them aswell. Doesnt have to be anything big...just 50 watts rms per side will do but ull notice a world of difference.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Slight change of plans though. Originally I was going to buy a custom speaker enclosure for the rear speakers (currently 4x10s in the headliner) because there was no way I was staying with 4x10s. But I just spoke with a friend who has the exact same truck and with a little modification I can get 6x9s to fit in the stock location. So I think I will do that because I would much rather the truck have a clean stock look. So to sum up the system I plan on installing in case anyone is interested, BA SC95 speakers in the rear and BA 746 plate speakers in the front installed with bass blockers. The subs are 2 Kenwood KFC-W3011 subs powered by an Alpine MRP-500. For the head unit I am leaning towards the Alpine X305 but am not sure I want to give up a CD player yet. I'm thinking that should sound plenty good for me, I know not as good as components but respectable none the less. If anybody sees a problem in that set up please let me know.

Just a quick unrelated question. Is subwoofer enclosure stuffing only for boxes that are too small for the speakers? Because the rectangular enclosure I am installing the subs into is slightly bigger than what is recommended, should I bother putting stuffing in the box? Thanks.

Mods, if you'd rather have this in the all other makes and models forums please feel free to move it there.

Back