• Register Today It's free!

6" Closer to GOD

01slvrsprt

Reaction score
City, State
South Burbs of Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
OK, I want to start by thanking everyone that has helped me out with the the planning of this project.....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212434

Everyone in that thread was a big help. Thanks again.
I also have to thank my 2 friends Mike and Josh for helping me with the lift, I couldnt have done it without you.

So here is what the plan was:
Starting w/bone stock 2001 Ford Explorer Sport add 3" lift kit, PA70023. Replace the stock shackles w/WAR-153 and give the front alittle TT, 1.5" to match the lift from the schackles. Then throw on some Dick Cepek DC-1 w/some BF Goodrich Mud Terrain 33x12.5x15 treads. I also did alittle customizing to the paint scheme which you'll find out in the finished pictures, think of it as alittle suprise:D
I had to do a few other things while it was in the air, change upper control arm and ball joint, lower ball joint, change the trans filter and gasket and I figured Id change the oil while I was at it.

The first pic is how she started out.
The first thing I did was remove all the ground effects, ALL of them. Now why would I do that?

Attachments

• DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,609
  • DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,605
  • DSC00701.jpg
    DSC00701.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,624

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After all the ground effects where off I changed the ball joints, control arms, did the TT, change the trans pan and the oil. O by the way the only filters that ever go on my vehicles are WIX. Nothin but the best!

O ya, thats my friend Josh, thats whose shop were using, telling me im #1 while im doing the TT. What a friend, lol.

Attachments

• DSC00726.jpg
    DSC00726.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,605
  • DSC00717.jpg
    DSC00717.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,596
  • DSC00720.jpg
    DSC00720.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,584
  • DSC00729.jpg
    DSC00729.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,576

All right, time for the good stuff. Lifting time! Well first we have to disconnect some things. Let me rephrase that, A LOT OF THINGS!

The first pic is Josh taking care of the parking brake cable that didnt want to come off, but Josh being the MacGyver that he is got it w/o breakin a sweat.
In the next im taking apart the int, and you can see out mascot dog, Shelby. Named after the one and only Carroll Shelby. Me n Josh are little into Ford. haha. Then weve got a pic of the int after it has been gutted. And then Mike and I geting one of the frame bolts out. Now Mike isnt a ford guy, but I wont go any further w/that. Lets just say he has Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time:D

You can see in the bottom right pic that saftey is my #1 priority. Im wearing saftey glasses, ON MY FORE HEAD! Dont make that same mistake, I paid for it. Take that one extra step and put the glasses where they are supposed to be.

Attachments

• DSC00731.jpg
    DSC00731.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,586
  • DSC00736.jpg
    DSC00736.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,593
  • DSC00732.jpg
    DSC00732.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSC00742.jpg
    DSC00742.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,567

Now we didnt get any pics while we were putting the blocks in, opps. My bad. But here is a few of torquing down the new bolts and adjusting the radiator. I also snapped a pic of our consumables for the weekend. We ate really healthy, huh?

Attachments

• DSC00753.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,568
  • DSC00755.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,585
  • DSC00747.jpg
    DSC00747.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,582
  • DSC00748.jpg
    DSC00748.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,578

OK so once the lift was done, the only thing left were the shackles. And a pic of the new ride height, minus the rims and rubber.

I never realized how dirty the back of my head was until I looked at those 2 pics! I swear I do have running water at my house!

Attachments

• DSC00757.jpg
    DSC00757.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,580
  • DSC00758.jpg
    DSC00758.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • DSC00759.jpg
    DSC00759.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,548

The rest of that nite was spent putting the ground effects back on, finding out that they have to be trimmed. And putting the wheels on the X. Here is your first clue on why I took of all the ground effects. Is it enough for you to figure it out? The first 2 are my make shift bumper that I used for 5 days so I wouldnt get in any trouble w/the law.

Attachments

• DSC00693.jpg
    DSC00693.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,559
  • DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • DSC00706.jpg
    DSC00706.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,530
  • DSC00763.jpg
    DSC00763.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,542

And the finished product:

The first is how she started the second, well, Im sure can figure that out.

Attachments

• DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,526
  • DSC00766.jpg
    DSC00766.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,520

Heres a few more. SUPRISE!!!!

Thanks again to all that helped out in any way shape or form. I def think it turned out awsome,especially the black paint, for a rattle can job. Let me know what you think, all types of feed back are welcome.

Attachments

• DSC00769.jpg
    DSC00769.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,515
  • DSC00770.jpg
    DSC00770.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,524
  • DSC00772.jpg
    DSC00772.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • DSC00773.jpg
    DSC00773.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,524

sweet rig man , lovin the two tone !! , do you know were Crystal lake IL is ??

kool , most of my family live's around that area , but im from GA , but i live in crystal lake now , but at the moment my rig is still in ga ,so when i get more time , and money im going back down there to pick it up !!

Those DC-1 rims look so sweet on your rig... congrats!

Heres a few more. SUPRISE!!!!

Thanks again to all that helped out in any way shape or form. I def think it turned out awsome,especially the black paint, for a rattle can job. Let me know what you think, all types of feed back are welcome.

This is EXACTLY what I would want my X to look like if I had that style Explorer.

Good job man, be proud. Not many people can do EVERYTHING at once. So what's next?

need to get some scratches in that pretty paint. Looking good though. my mom has the same truck, but it looks like your first picture and my dad wont let her lift it or go oversized with the tires. I think i'm going to try and buy it when she is done with it years from now. i like the styling of the 3rd gen sports.

i especially like what you did with the tupperware. looks really good.

look siiick!!!!! i love the black trim..... i was so going to do that to mine. and nice choice on the mud terrains, i wish i would've gotten those sometimes. doesn't it feel so much better to ride in now ;-)

Yeah, when I paint my 1st gen, I'm going to paint the lower area on the sides black to kind of mimic what he has going on.

Hehehe -- sorry had to delete the youtube video. I was not aware it was the 'unsafe' version ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those DC-1 rims look so sweet on your rig... congrats!

Thanx man, I thank wakskatr8 b/c I got to see them on hers.

This is EXACTLY what I would want my X to look like if I had that style Explorer.

Good job man, be proud. Not many people can do EVERYTHING at once. So what's next?

The only reason I was able to do it all at once was b/c of the 3-day holiday weekend and it took ALL weekend. Looking back at it know, I wish I would have done the front end work prior. You never know what kind of problems you're going to run into working with the BL.

As far as whats next, im planning on putting on a bull bar w/a winch, a roof rack w/kc lights and next summer prob putting a 4" Superlift on it. But, I just found out yest that I have 3:73 with open axels so that may take priority over everything else. Well see.......

need to get some scratches in that pretty paint. Looking good though. my mom has the same truck, but it looks like your first picture and my dad wont let her lift it or go oversized with the tires. I think i'm going to try and buy it when she is done with it years from now. i like the styling of the 3rd gen sports.

i especially like what you did with the tupperware. looks really good.

Thanx Aric, Im ready to start taking it trailing. Im hoping to make next weekend but right now that tourney that im in is first on the list. But, even if I dont make that, let me know whenever theres a group goin to the Cliffs. I wanted to get her dirty, the scratches im not so excited about:D

Back