6 inch lift | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6 inch lift

true, makes sense! one thing though: by trails, does OP mean crawling trails, or like dirt road trails?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's dirt roads, my Dad wheeled a stock 1991 Explorer all over the Southwest. Moab, Black Bear Pass, etc. It's a solid vehicle that can take a serious beating.

If your plan is for trail use, you are going to have to spend the money on something that improves the suspension, not just make it taller and less flexy. Search this same sub forum for hundreds of TTB lifted Explorers. You can use the advice given here, and do your own research as well. There are at least 10 threads in the "Similar threads" below.

What type of trails are you running? For general off road and street use, TTB works well. For go fast trails, TTB works better than almost anything. For slow rock crawling, doing a solid axle swap could be considered.
I just wanted something that gives me more clearance, and then upgrade down the road. I don't do anything extreme, I just go to turkey bay most of the time, and it's like once a month. It's mainly for looks, and every once and while offroading. The trails I do, my friend went on in his stock 2001 f150. 2wd. I think I'll be alright with it just lifted lol

true, makes sense! one thing though: by trails, does OP mean crawling trails, or like dirt road trails?
Kind of both? I go to turkey bay. My friend went on the trails with a stock f150 2wd

i agree, but if he/she just wants to get out, they can do what is necessary for now, and then later add more flexy leaves, etc... but in the end, suspension can only do much (jmo), and really the tires are where its at, but the suspension does play a critical role too... however for the frequency they go offroad, maybe something like that is something they can get away with and maybe uprgade down the line... all just my opinion:)
Exactly, I just want to lift it for looks and more clearance, I'll add all the extra stuff later down the road.

Show us the kits you are looking to purchase and we will critique

Show us the kits you are looking to purchase and we will critique
Yes that is a 4inch kit, like I said up there I've debated on just doing 4inch if it's easier lol

Those are just a couple I've found, that seem interesting

have you looked at james duff? from what I hear his stuff is also good! (not a 1st gen owner though, just from what i hear)

have you looked at james duff? from what I hear his stuff is also good! (not a 1st gen owner though, just from what i hear)

I actually have, but all of it is so expensive. And yes, I know, offroading is an expensive sport, but I don't want to spend that much for mild offroading. Maybe I will later down the road, just not yet. I appreciate it though!

i understand! one thing also: are you planning to regear the diff? if not, all this lift may not be necessary, as the big tires will tax the tranny heavily... if you dont plan to regear, perhaps go with 31s... if you do plan to, disregard this!

i understand! one thing also: are you planning to regear the diff? if not, all this lift may not be necessary, as the big tires will tax the tranny heavily... if you dont plan to regear, perhaps go with 31s... if you do plan to, disregard this!
I'm not planning too lol. My 06 is running like 32s and my rzr 800 is running 30s, stock everything except lifted 5inches. I think I'll be alright for now

Okay I have further advice after reading more of why you want to lift. Think it all through before you buy anything!
That means think not just the lift, but the tire size and the gearing, or actually regearing.
A 6” lift will look ridiculous without a decent size tire under it. If you put a decent size tire under it, I guarantee you will need to regear. If you don’t regear, you will kill you transmission quickly, or burn out your clutch if you’re manual.
If you don’t have the money to get 35s and regear front and rear axles, don’t get a 6” lift. Probably not a 4” lift either.
Do you know your current gear ratio? Look and tell us what it is please.

RangerX has good advice! and maybe just me, but if you also dont plan on offroading too "hard" and plan on it mostly for looks, id say a 2" lift and 31s would bbe your best bet though, maybe with shackles or lifted leaves and a coil spacer (?) in the front... imo, 31s are fine for 90+% of offroading... maybe invest in a good LS or locker though with the extra dough... jmo!

RangerX has good advice! and maybe just me, but if you also dont plan on offroading too "hard" and plan on it mostly for looks, id say a 2" lift and 31s would bbe your best bet though, maybe with shackles or lifted leaves and a coil spacer (?) in the front... imo, 31s are fine for 90+% of offroading... maybe invest in a good LS or locker though with the extra dough... jmo!
This, exactly! Gen1’s are very good stock offroad if you know how’s to drive it right. A small lift some aggressive 31s, and a strong limited slip or lunchbox locker is all you need to get you further than you would believe.

At this point, I just don't want to spend a lot of money, and I just want to hit the trails lol. So, let me make sure I know what I'm doing, 6inch ranger lIft, soa in the rear (perches, shocks and shock mounts? Can I just look for those somewhere and buy them?) And then something like add a leaf to add height? I'm still a little confused, but I'll do some more research
you can buy spring perches many places online yes.

You will need some rear shocks for a 6” lift no biggie

Forget the add a leaf as by placing the springs on top of the axle you just gained 5” of lift in the rear, this will match the 6” lift up front

I would not buy anything from rough country for a ttb truck, ever.

Once again consider a 6” kit w extended radius arms, otherwise i would stick with a 2” suspension lift and a 2” body lift as a 6” drop bracket lift without arms is going hurt your performance on and off road Because all it is doing it raising your center of gravity and maxing out your alignment which will ruin your handling

These guys know what they are taking about

If you are: on a budget, in a hurry, want to go wheeling to see what your gen i ex can do

Then

Start w 2” suspension

Because

A 6” drop bracket kit is going to raise the center of gravity and hurt handling. It also introduces weak parts that hang way down and get hung up off road. The axle pivot drop brackets and radius arm drop brackets belong in the trash!!!

Why? Why install a 6” suspension? To fit larger tires is the answer. (There are better ways to fit larger tires)

These guys know what they are taking about

If you are: on a budget, in a hurry, want to go wheeling to see what your gen i ex can do

Then

Start w 2” suspension

Because

A 6” drop bracket kit is going to raise the center of gravity and hurt handling. It also introduces weak parts that hang way down and get hung up off road. The axle pivot drop brackets and radius arm drop brackets belong in the trash!!!

Why? Why install a 6” suspension? To fit larger tires is the answer. (There are better ways to fit larger tires)
Honestly, the reason I want a 6inch lift, is not just for larger tires. It's mainly because I like high lifted vehicles. I think it's fun driving a vehicle super high off the ground. Also, i have no idea what my gear ratio is and I have no idea how to regear, or what it means. I didn't realize all the stuff that goes into lifting and adding bigger tires. Is independent suspension different in all that stuff?

i get it! i love driving lifted trucks, dont get me wrong, its just all that is entailed by lifting that high... when you go that high and fit tires thatblook right (ie. 35) your tranny has to work alot harder to get off the line, and will ****t out of OD on even the slightest hills... afaik IFS is the same in all this, it s just your other X had such a small size change it maybe wasnt too noticible and was within the range of what is ok with the tranny etc

heres a good link Regearing Basics

try playing around with the calculator a bit if you find your gear ratio (located on the door jamb sticker on a 2nd gen) to see the dufferences in rpm at a certain speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i get it! i love driving lifted trucks, dont get me wrong, its just all that is entailed by lifting that high... when you go that high and fit tires thatblook right (ie. 35) your tranny has to work alot harder to get off the line, and will ****t out of OD on even the slightest hills... afaik IFS is the same in all this, it s just your other X had such a small size change it maybe wasnt too noticible and was within the range of what is ok with the tranny etc

heres a good link Regearing Basics

try playing around with the calculator a bit if you find your gear ratio (located on the door jamb sticker on a 2nd gen) to see the dufferences in rpm at a certain speed
Thanks for all the advice everyone, when I get home I'll check what the gear ratio is. And I'll also do more research on regearing so I can learn a little something.

Back